We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheese and bread

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
6 reviews
Cheese and bread

I understand there is a cheese shop and bakery and the coop store. Are the cheese and bread in the specialty shops better, fresher but more expensive than the Coop? Thanks.

Chico, California
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,812 posts
33 reviews
19 helpful votes
1. Re: Cheese and bread

They are all about the same price, the cheese shop will have more of a selection than the small COOP. It will take you 5 minutes to walk between COOP, cheese shop, and bakery. Suggest you do the "tour" then decide based on what you see

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Cheese and bread

We will certainly do that. Thanks.

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
39 reviews
36 helpful votes
3. Re: Cheese and bread

Special cheese shops, called "cheesi" get normally a better quality than the big retailers. It is worth to buy cheese there. Same with the BIO milk directly from the farmer. You will taste a slight difference. Although the bread at Coop is good, a good baker will always offer specialities; at a higher price. But I always afford These 2-3 Francs more.

Edited: 31 July 2014, 13:54
Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Cheese and bread

Yes, my husband is a bread and cheese lover, so we will have a great time.

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Cheese and bread

We are here now and I have been told there is no cheese shop. Do you know the name and location? Thanks.

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Cheese and bread

We did find a store that had cheese, sausage, salamis and fresh meat. They also have Murren Pinot and jelly.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
5,112 posts
350 reviews
785 helpful votes
7. Re: Cheese and bread

I know of no cheese shop in Murren, but I would definitely be interested in knowing if there actually is one. Some of the freshest cheese can be found just by strolling down to Gimmelwald and knock on the door of any house or barn that displays a "AlpKase" or just "Kase" sign. They will ask how much you want and slice it for you as you wait. Sometimes they will also have dried meet to go along with the cheese. It's also a fun outing. Grab some fresh cheese, bread, meet, and nice bottle of wine and sit on the wooden bench breathing in all of that wonderfully fresh mountain air.

You don't have to plan anything in particular in Murren or Gimmelwald to have a spectacular time. Just being there is spectacular enough!

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Cheese and bread

Thanks. We are having a great time. We do plan to go to Gimmalwald a couple of times.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
12 reviews
52 helpful votes
9. Re: Cheese and bread

There is a cheese making facility next to the Winteregg station on the way from Grutchalp into Murren where they process the local herds milk into cheese. I'm sure if they don't sell the cheese there that they could direct you to where they do.

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: Cheese and bread

How exciting. Thanks.

Get answers to your questions about Murren