We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agrotourism options?

Which Murren hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
55 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Agrotourism options?

Hello! We are coming to the area the week of September 7th, 2014. There are 3 of us, all women. We are involved in Dairy Agriculture in the US, Idaho at this time. We would love to learn more about the dairy farming and cheese making in Switzerland.

Myself (Dairy sanitation/production), Friend (Animal Nutrition & Dairy owner) and my daughter (Recent High School graduate who will start University in 2015 in Agriculture and has been involved in 4-H and FFA, qualifying for Nationals in Daity Foods and Floriculture) are visiting this area of Switzerland and Zermatt after working at the FEI WEG in Caen.

We will have a vehicle and plan to budget stay. Walking will also be what we enjoy. During this time will cows be brought off of summer range, or are we early for this? We would even enjoy helping if possible, straw stays, hostels etc. are ok. Any agriculture is ok!

Thank you for your time and help!

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Agrotourism options?

I would say the Murren/Gimmelwald area would be a good choice. I'm not sure of the date they are bringing the cows this year but it should be around the time you are there.

The tourist information office in Murren should be able to help you. There is a cheese making operation next to the Winteregg station on the Lauterbrunnen to Murren line that takes care of the cheese making for all the cows on that part of the Alp. I don't know if they do public tours etc but I'm sure you could work something out again through the tourist information office.

http://mymuerren.ch/

Edited: 03 August 2014, 23:56
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Agrotourism options?

Were you able to find a local cheese maker? We will be staying in Murren and would **love** to tour a local farm and watch cheese making.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,933 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Agrotourism options?

There is one next to the Winteregg station on the walk from Grutchalp to Murren walk. Check with the tourist information office in Murren to arrange access.

4. Re: Agrotourism options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2016, 05:15