We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

re: ski at kleine scheidegg and wengen

Which Wengen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
roh
munster
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Topic
re: ski at kleine scheidegg and wengen

i am just wondering if i base myself at wengen for 3 to 4 days is kleine scheidegg the ski area? or is there a seperate ski area at wengen itself? i would like the ski area to be within walking distance from where i am staying but i kind of get the impression that kleine is a rail journey away? maybe i am wrong about this. also what is at kleine scheidegg? it is a village or just a couple of hotels? would it be a nicer place than wengen? we are looking for a relaxing few days, but i suppose not too quiet either. all advice would be welcome.

(especially from the knowledgeable kileysmom and swandav!!!)

thanks

roh

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,063 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: re: ski at kleine scheidegg and wengen

Hi roh!

What kind words! Thank you so much!

Unfortunately, there is no ski area that is walkable from Wengen. The two major ski areas are Kleine Scheidegg (yes, you get there by train) and the Männlichen (you get there by cable car). From both of these areas, you can get to all the rest of the ski areas!

You can get an overview of the ski pistes at

www.jungfrauwinter.ch

then click on "overview map" and then click on it to enlarge it. You'll see that Wengen is at the end of the ski pistes!

Yes, you're right that Kleine Scheidegg is only a hotel or two and the big train station with trains coming & going (some restaurants too). I don't think it would be nicer than Wengen -- pretty charmless I think.

Hope this helps!

s

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,379 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: re: ski at kleine scheidegg and wengen

There are 2 areas. One is Kleine Scheiddegg and the other is Maennlichen both accessible from Wengen.

To Kleine Scheiddegg take the train.

To Maennlichen take the Gondola.

Please look at the following links to get an idea.

…isyours.com/e/…winter-ski.html

…isyours.com/e/…index.html

www.maennlichen.ch/unternehmungen/karte/

roh
munster
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: re: ski at kleine scheidegg and wengen

thanks for your prompt reply swandav. kileysmom is on the piste isnt she? anyway i wonder how long does it take to get to kleine scheidegg from wengen and is it possible to ski back to wengen village in the evening? i have stayed in grindelwald already so i am just trying to decide whats the best place in that area. we will be flying into zurich and have 8 days so what i was thinking was to sightsee a bit and then base ourselves somewhere for the last few days to ski. do you have any ideas? we have stayed in muerren already. what about the st moritz area or is there any nice place i should know about? plan on getting the swiss pass so we will utilise it as much as possible. open to all options but i guess we dont want anything too busy, just nice typical swiss villages. and i presume that at that time of the year if we want snow its better to head to the high hills isnt it? sorry for all the questions!!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,063 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: re: ski at kleine scheidegg and wengen

Hi again,

Yes, kileysmom is on the pistes in Zermatt -- and I'm all jealous as anything! I'm sure she's having a blast.

Yes, there are a few routes where you can ski from KS to Wengen; I know I've done it a few times. Couldn't do it in Jan 07 though because there wasn't enough snow.

You can check the train route from Wengen to KS at the Swiss rail site

www.rail.ch

As I recall, it takes about 10-15 minutes.

You know, since you've already been to both Grindelwald and Mürren, maybe this would be the time to see a whole new area of Switzerland -- the Engadin Valley. This is a lovely area, and you can read more about it at www.engadin.stmoritz.ch and at

www.concierge.com/cntraveler/articles/detail…

You could easily spend all your time there, sightseeing the cities, going over the Bernina Pass to Poschiavo, taking a sled ride to Fex, seeing the perched villages of Guarda & Soglio, then cap it all off with a few days skiing. You wouldn't even have to move hotels as you could do all of that from one location, say Zuoz or Sils or Pontresina.

Hope this helps!

s

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,379 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: re: ski at kleine scheidegg and wengen

www.skichalets.co.uk/rlargeimage.php…

roh
munster
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: re: ski at kleine scheidegg and wengen

thank you both for your information. i will look at all of these websites and come back with more questions!

7. Re: re: ski at kleine scheidegg and wengen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 00:19
Get answers to your questions about Wengen