We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half board?

Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Half board?

Hello -

I am considering booking a room at the Schonegg hotel or the Alpen Rose. I see that they offer the "half board" option for 25 to 30 francs per person. I am vegetarian - I imagine that most of their standard offerings would not be vegetarian. What do you think about taking the half board option, versus eating at various restaurants? How much per person should I realistically expect to budget for dinner if I don't take the half board option? And how likely would the hotel be to make me vegetarian food if I take the half board option?

Thank for your help!

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half board?

Under 30 chf is a good price for a dinner in a nice place. If you ask for a veggie choice you will probably get a limited choice but they will try to satisfy you.

You can get a good Pizza/Pasta meal for 30chf with a bottle of water and coffee but not much more. I would characterise restaurants as 30chf being a friendly place with paper napkins and 50+ chf being a more formal one with cloth napkins.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,126 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half board?

Hi DigitalGhost,

Yes, it will be difficult to get a four- or five-course meal at a restaurant for 30 chf! I've enjoyed half-board at the Alpenrose two times and always enjoyed the food a lot. The chef owns the hotel (has been in the family for 100 years) and has a lot of motivation to keep the guests happy!

I always saw a great vegetarian option for the evening's meal and often chose to have it instead of the meat dish.

If you want, you can e-mail the Alpenrose and ask them to give you a sample menu for a few days to see what they have. Tell them you are a vegetarian and are concerned about the variety. This is a small, family-run hotel, and they take very good care of their guests.

Good luck!

s

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,935 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Half board?

Typically the half board option is an economical choice and the two hotels you have selected are two of the most popular in Wengen. The Schoenegg is especially noted for it's food. As suggested above I would contact the hotel directly and ask them.

If the half board option doesn't work out for you there are many really nice places to eat in Wengen and the area that offer quite a variety of choices.

Not long ago fellow poster Kimsanjose posted reviews of a long list of Wengen eateries with quite a bit of good info.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,750 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Half board?

Personally I think half the fun of a trip abroad is sampling various foods. Half Board may make financial sense, but it does limit you to a particular restaurant for the entire time you are there. I would much rather try several different restaurants and choose exactly what I want when I want it. I may even choose to visit the local grocer and pick out a nice sandwich, fruit/cheese and a bottle of wine and have a picnic. Half board just sounds a little too restrictive for my taste :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Half board?

We stayed at Schoenegg for 5 days in June last year. My wife is a vegetarian. Even though they didnt have much veggie options in the daily menu, the chef specially prepared interesting veggie dishes for her.

I would definitely recommend the half board option, since you get excellent four course dinner at very resonable price (it was 30 CHF pp at that time)

Germany
Level Contributor
319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Half board?

I can definitely relate - I'm a vegetarian with frequent vacations in Switzerland. My advice: don't do it.

Basically I've given up on the half-board option. Yes, CHF 30 is a good deal, and if you are traveling with omnivores, I definitely recommend this option for them. But keep in mind that it is typically an absolute *ton* of food, i.e. almost more than one can eat, vegetarian or not. If you order a la carte, you will be hard-pressed to spend 30 francs on food alone. One of my favorite options, Käseschnitte (bread soaked in wine, covered in cheese/egg/choice of other things and broiled) will run you CHF 12-18, unlimited salad bar 10-20, basic spaghetti with tomato sauce 14, veggie lasagna 18, Nüssli salad (lamb's lettuce) with or w/o egg CHF 8-10. The cooks are typically accommodating but are sometimes at a loss as to what to prepare, they have extra work, sometimes the results are unacceptable (e.g. fish, chicken, some old quiche that's been in the freezer for months, etc.)

How we do it now is that we fundamentally book without half-board and then let them know at breakfast whether we will be eating there at dinner and what - the evening's menu is typically out on the tables by early morning. Sometimes the half-board appeals to one or both of us, sometimes we want to eat elsewhere, sometimes we both want to order a la carte. The restaurant staff really appreciates this level of information and direction, instead of just showing up at dinner and expecting to be catered to. A lot of places have a cheese night once a week, either raclette or fondue, which I enjoy and recommend, assuming you are OK with cheese. Feel free to PM me if you need more help.

Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Half board?

Thank you SuzyQ - it sounds like we have a similar perspective.

Also, I emailed the Hotel Schonegg, and they are now charging 60 francs for the half board dinner! So I definitely think I will be doing the breakfast only. They said I could decide day by day if I want the dinner or now.

madison
Level Contributor
54 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Half board?

Really? Their website still lists it as 30 per day per person. I emailed them about rates for Sept. a couple weeks ago and they told me the same, 30.

Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Half board?

I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking! The 60 francs is for both people. So that's 30 per person.

Singapore
Level Contributor
527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Half board?

Hello SuzyQ,

Was reading thru the forum and saw your advice for the set dinners. We intend to stay at Alpenrose. What restaruants/ cafes do you recommend for lunch/ dinner if I love cheese but the rest of my family is not that crazy about it? Anything that you would recommend?

Thanks

Michelle