We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do if it rains when we're in wengen

Which Wengen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
796 posts
1 review
Save Topic
what to do if it rains when we're in wengen

Hi , on a previous post some one mentioned that if it rains then we should just go to interlaken and take a boat ride.We will be in wengen for 31/2 days . Are there any other activities to do just in case it rains

which I hope not But I am just preparing- just in case. Thanks

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,914 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do if it rains when we're in wengen

There is nothing to stop you from walking if it is raining, unless of course it is a deluge. But in the rain a boat trip wouldn't be too much fun!!

I suggest that if you have a solid, rainy day that you go to Bern for the day. Not only is Bern a wonderful little city, but it is the perfect place for rain, as almost all the pavemetns are under arcades so you will not get too wet!

Here is a link to a walking tour of Bern:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g188052-c127052/Ber…

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,067 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do if it rains when we're in wengen

Hi agnescalifornia,

I don't know -- I've enjoyed the lake cruises I took in the rain from Luzern. Ah well.

Another idea is the castle at Thun; Thun also has arcaded streets so you'll stay drier.

Have fun!

s

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,495 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do if it rains when we're in wengen

The Trümmelbach Falls is always a good option on a rainy day. You'll get wet in there anyway!

truemmelbachfaelle.ch/truemmelbach/…

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do if it rains when we're in wengen

Good suggestions all. I, too,have enjoyed boat rides on rainy days. All the steamers have large indoor facilities.

Another option is a visit to the Ballenberg Museum outside of Brienz. It is largely an outdoor museum but perfectly navigable with an umbrella or rain coat with hood unless it’s just pouring. You can add this on to a lake cruise as well. The train staff at Wengen station can arrange all of this for you, including selling you all the tickets you need to get there and back and to enter the museum.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,307 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do if it rains when we're in wengen

I am from the Pacific Northwest, so I have plenty of experience hiking in the rain. I second Trummelbach Falls. I have been to the valley in every kind of weather imaginable. One of my favorite memories of Wengen is 40 years ago sitting in a hiking hut with my friend and a Brit talking and watching a couple of storms pass thru the Valley.

Iowa
Level Contributor
299 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do if it rains when we're in wengen

When we have had a rainy day in Wengen we actually look forward to hiking down to Lauterbrunnen (or take the train), then on to Trummelbach Falls, continuing on to Stechelberg where there was a restaurant that served the best rosti we ever ate. We would then walk back the on the other side on the river to Lauterbrunnen and catch the train back up to Wengen. With good hiking and waterproof gear, the weather was no problem.

Edited: 03 June 2010, 18:58
7. Re: what to do if it rains when we're in wengen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Wengen