We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clothing for july

Which Wengen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
queensland
Level Contributor
236 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
clothing for july

Hi. My 2 children and I will be in Wengen for a week in early July. We plan to go up the mountain and do lots of hiking and small daytrips. What sort of clothing do we need in terms of warmth, as we will be coming from Italy so we will have summer clothing. At that time of year do we need proper hiking shoes suitable for snow or would comfortable walking shoes be o.k?

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: clothing for july

You shouldn't encounter too much snow at that time of year but for most mountain trails hiking boots are recommended for the grip of the soles and the ankle support. As for clothing I always find layering is the best way to go. Usually a raincoat will double as a wind breaker. T-shirts and a sweatshirt or fleece should be enough for most day hikes.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,121 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: clothing for july

If you are staying in Wengen you are staying "up the mountain" - Wengen is 1200m and only accessible by train. And sometimes, even in the middle of summer, it can snow at this altitude. Usually when it does this the snow either doesn't stick or melts quickly. But you do need to be prepared for temperatures ranging from 0C to +25C and this means layering. Good, waterproof hiking boots, wool socks - throw in a pair of gloves and a hat as well - an umbrella and a light anorak -the kind that is a "shell" which will go over sweaters and is waterproof. Bring a sweatshirt as these are easy to wash and dry and are as warm as sweaters.

You are, I suppose, from QLD? then I don't have to tell you about sunblock! But in the Alps you need total sunblock as the air is thin. 60sof or better. And good sunglasses especially if you go to the Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn where you will be in the snow and the glare on a sunny day is intense.

queensland
Level Contributor
236 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: clothing for july

Thanks for your detailed replies. As we don't really get any cold weather in Queensland I better start borrowing gear and looking for some good hiking shoes.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
415 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: clothing for july

We have been holidaying in the Wengen area in July for many years now and the clothing which Hambagahle lists is exactly what we take. We dont always use it all. Some years we have been lucky and never needed a raincoat,sometimes- especially on the lakes- we have been too warm in a short sleeved T shirt ....but in general, the weather has been changeable and a little bit of everything ...even the gloves, has proved useful!

queensland
Level Contributor
236 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: clothing for july

Thanks for your responses. We will be coming from a 3.5 week trip in Italy where it will be hot so we will have all cool clothing, but from your comments at least I know I don't have to pack any bulky winter clothes - except the hiking boots. Would night time be long pants only , and days be shorts or long pants depending on the day?

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: clothing for july

A small point, don't pack hiking boots - wear them for the flight and it saves quite a bit of space in your suitcases.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,121 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: clothing for july

Or if you DO pack them - remember that there is a lot of space inside the boots that you can pack other things in...AND that hiking boots being sturdy provide some additional protection to something that might be fragile...

Marlboro, New Jersey
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: clothing for july

What about trail sneakers? Are they sturdy enough if you are going on easy or medium trails? I just had back surgery and won't be able to hike on some of the trails that I originally intended. I was thinking my trail sneakers would be good enough for the easy hikes. No??

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: clothing for july

If they have decent heavy soles they should be ok. Most of the trails around Wengen are well maintained so you should be able to find lots that you can manage.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,121 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: clothing for july

There are two things that are really important about hiking boots: one, the soles which have been discussed above. Two the firm support for your ankles. A lot of people have accidents when they slip and twist (or worse) their ankles. It isn't so much the steepness of the slope, it is more the nature of the "footing" and most of our mountain hiking paths have a lot of pebbles or little stones that are loose, so you can slip.

I don't think I have ever seen "trail sneakers", though I know what sneakers are! (Lived in the US for a too long time!) But unless they are really firm around your ankles you do not have good support.