We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

confused about the way up to wengen.

Which Wengen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
confused about the way up to wengen.

Hi all,

I am coming trying to figure out the cost of my rail tickets, but i am confused if the sbb ticket will bring me all the way to wengen? i thought it will, as my final destination i input is the wengen station. But when i saw the jungfrau map, i see the red lines, which i thought belong to the mountain rail. the sbb ticket is around 41chf, will i need to purchase another ticket to go up to wengen?

I will be staying at wengen for 2 nights, the main mode of transport will be the cable cars between towns right? should i have the half price rail pass, as i will need to buy it before my trip (if im not wrong), but it really depends if i go up to jungfrau which is dependent on weather. Maybe you guys can help me out based on your experience?

I will be in zurich for 1 day, visiting the rhine falls, come down to wengen for 2 nights, go down to montreux for a night, and 1 night in geneva. all by trains.

Please advise.

Thanks!!

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: confused about the way up to wengen.

You can buy a ticket to Wengen from any rail station in Switzerland and many other transport hubs too. The system of transport is intergrated within Switzerland so for instance you can buy one ticket from Zurich to the most remote hamlet in the country which may have only a sparse post bus service.

The half fare card is not soley for rail tickets it can be applied to all modes of travel when taking a cable car you just present it at the ticket office whom will sell you a half fare.

The half fare card should be the required minimum for all visitors to Switzerland on such a trip as yours you should have a look at the Swiss Flexi Pass it would seem to be a better option.

www.swisstravelsystem.com

Edited: 31 July 2011, 16:16
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: confused about the way up to wengen.

Thanks mostly by trains. I was considering the flexi pass, but it does not include any of the mountain train rides, hence i thought maybe the half far card will be more cost effective. do you think otherwise? need advce from the experts incase i am missing out on some fares that i missed out. Thanks!

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: confused about the way up to wengen.

The Flexi Pass will get you as far as Wengen then half price onwards to Jungfraujoch. On the other side of the valley you can use it to Murren on the cable cars and mountain railway then it's half price for the cable car to the Schilthorn.

I still think it's your best option, the way to get the best out of it is use the selected days for the longer journeys on the non selected days you can use it as a half fare card.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: confused about the way up to wengen.

Thanks, so to simplify, only the cable car up to jungfrau and schilthorn i will need to buy separate pass? If i go down to interlaken and ard murren, wengen. Lauterbrunnen i am able to use the flexi pass?

Thanks for this clarification!! Makes planning all the much simpler!! :)

Are there any special routes i should take or sights i shd take in at ob? Just thinking if i have enough time up there. :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: confused about the way up to wengen.

Hi all, below is my plan for switzerland, is this okay? which are the additional tickets i will need to buy for the lifts?

mon 12-Sep depart munich 0713 reach zurich 1132

check into hotel

zurich city

tues 13-Sep take train to rhine falls ~1hr (10chf)

zurich to wengen (2.5hrs) (40chf)

weds 14-Sep wengen take lift to mannlichen walk to Kleine scheidegg train to jungfrau. Train to murren

murren to lauterbrunnen - grindawald. Walk to first gondola, take to top. Walk to bachalpsee

thurs 15-Sep wengen to murren, do northface trail - schilthorn (till noon)

trummelbach falls (11chf)

wengen to vevey (~3.5hrs) (42chf)

Friday 16-Sep chillon castle (12chf)

Lavaux vineyards

sat 17-Sep montreux to geneva ~1hr (26chf)

UN building, saint peters cathedral, water fountain

geneva to paris (4hrs) depart 1741 arrive 2052

Iowa
Level Contributor
299 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: confused about the way up to wengen.

Your Sept. 14 involves way too much , I think. Your planned day Wengen-Mannlichen-walk-Kleine Scheidegg-Jungfrau excursion would be a perfect day all by itself. To get from the Jungfrau to Murren requires returning to Lauterbrunnen and then taking funicular and train to Murren , then reverse and take the train all the way to Grindelwald, a long journey. Do you really mean Murren? Wengen-Lautenbrunnen-Grindelwald-First-walk to Bachalpsee and return is another wonderful full day. I think maybe you have planned a bit much. What do others think?

Edited: 01 August 2011, 12:30
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: confused about the way up to wengen.

Thanks Janet, im not too sure about how much time i will need, hence will need all your advice! should i stay another day at wengen, and forgo a day at vevey?

Iowa
Level Contributor
299 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: confused about the way up to wengen.

I have never spent time in Vevey so can't answer your question, but an extra day in Wengen is always a good idea. Chillon Castle was charming and interesting, but if you are heading to Paris you will find plenty of castles in that area. There is an excellent wine museum in Aigle that is worth a visit.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: confused about the way up to wengen.

I wouldn't scrap your day in Vevey. It's a lovely part of the world. It's always difficult to do everything that you want, so you might have to prioritise.

10. Re: confused about the way up to wengen.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 12:19
Get answers to your questions about Wengen