We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Pass

Dubai
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Swiss Pass

Hello all,

We are visiting Switzerland from 5th to 18th August and we are planning to take a Swiss pass. We would be arriving at Zurich airport and would be staying in Wengen which is our first halt, then we are off to Zermatt, then to St. Moritz and then to brunnen. My question is as follows.

Since it is the season time is it advisable to take a Swiss pass for first class specially since we will take Glacier express which could be crowded.

Secondly do you have first class for all the trains including the one form Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen then from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen.

Thirdly is it possible to selectively upgrade a particular sector if required.

Finally is it worth visiting Glacier 3000 near Gstaad considering we are in Wengen for 5 nights.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sanat

Skiset Wengen
Gift & Speciality Shops, Equipment Hire
Wengen Day Trips
Day Trips, Speciality Museums, Waterfalls, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss Pass

I have never had a problem getting a seat in second class, except possibly the commuter trains in the rush hour out of Bern to Interlaken. The Glacier Express unless you want to ride the actual "Glacier Express" then you need I believe to reserve your seat, otherwise the trains run over the same route every hour without needing reservations.

The mountain trains from Lauterbrunnen are only one class as is the Jungfraubhan train from Kleine Scheidegg.

Yes you can upgrade, just ask at the ticket office and pay the difference. I would recommend this if you travel on the lake steamers.

I've never been to Glacier 3000 so I can't comment

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss Pass

There is enough in the Wengen area to keep you occupied for the 5 days but if the weather is not so good having your swiss pass would be an advantage. You could take the train to the nations capital at Bern or go to Montreux via the golden pass route.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss Pass

Hi

Swiss trains are great, so it doesnt matter even if you take second class ticket. But for Glacier express given the season, you will have to make advanced reservations at this time of the year. Same deal with Golden Pass train too.

The narrow gauge trains from Interlaken OST going to the Top of Europe all have only one class. Swiss pass holders travel free to Lauterbrunnen or Wengen.

But if you do want to go to the Jungfrau, top of Europe, then you will need to pay for the ride! Swiss pass holders get a discount! We ended up paying around 100CHF per person on top of the swiss pass for this trip! But it was worth every single cent, just the ride by the side of the Eiger and the sight of its North Face was thrilling.

Here are our experiences of our trip …stills360.com/2011/… There are a bunch of other Swiss related posts too! Hope that helps!

4. Re: Swiss Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 03:16
Get answers to your questions about Wengen