We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is hiking at night?

Which Wengen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
How safe is hiking at night?

I'll be traveling to Wengen later this summer. I frequently take dusk/night photographs, which often means hiking at night. Assuming one has a flashlight with plenty of spare batteries, how safe is it to hike around the Wengen/Jungfrau Region at night? Does one need to be worried about crime (from humans) or wild animals?

I've had to watch out for black bears and mountain lions while hiking at night in the United States, but I get the sense those probably aren't problems in the Jungfrau region. Still, any safety tips would be appreciated.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,713 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe is hiking at night?

If you know the trail already, hiking at night may be ok but if you trip and twist yor ankle or worse - the nights can be extremely cold up in the mountains even in summer.

Obviously crime high in the mountains is not a problem at all (is it in US???), and wild animals you could encounter will be deer, mountain goats or maybe a fox, nothing more.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,064 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe is hiking at night?

There IS another problem though. Wengen is located on top of some pretty high cliffs. About a year or so ago a young man who knew Wengen well fell off these cliffs at night and was killed. I would not choose Wengen as a place to hike at night unless I knew the paths very very well!!

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe is hiking at night?

altamiro wrote, "Obviously crime high in the mountains is not a problem at all (is it in US???), and wild animals you could encounter will be deer, mountain goats or maybe a fox, nothing more"

What about the wolf you never mentioned the Wolf!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,713 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe is hiking at night?

Just have some dog treats with you :-)

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,064 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe is hiking at night?

The wolves are in the Valais... as far as I know!! maybe next year in the Oberland? I think they like dog chow!

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How safe is hiking at night?

Do you remember this?

tripadvisor.co.uk/…3168684

Maryland
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How safe is hiking at night?

Thanks everyone for the tips. If I hike at night, I'll be sure to stick to safe trails and not go anywhere near cliffs. I'm afraid of heights, so I'll avoid those during the day, too! From my last visit, I remember there was a pretty straightforward trail/road that went through and beyond Wengen to Wengernalp, if I recall -- I don't remember there being any treacherous parts to that. But I'll certainly use caution. And, I'll keep an eye out for wolves and maybe bring some dog chow to fend them off! :)

There generally isn't crime in the mountains in the US, but anywhere there are people, there can be crime. Here in the US we do occasionally have cars get broken into at trailheads.

8. Re: How safe is hiking at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Wengen