We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from Wengen

Which Wengen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
train from Wengen

I have been studying the raileurope site. In looking at the possibilities from Wengen to Interlaken, are there really no schedules that allow a stop at Lauterbrunnen but no train change? It seems odd to me. I keep wondering if there are other schedules. We are actually trying to go from Wengen to Rothenburg on the Tauber. It seems odd that it takes 12 hours. Are there other sites I should be using? Thanks.

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from Wengen

I have been looking at the Bahn and see that there are many more choices than I saw on raileurope for Stuttgart to Rothnenburg. Is there another site for train schedules in Switzerland? Thanks.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,022 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from Wengen

Swiss train schedules are here

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

You have to change trains at Lauterbrunnen, no through trains.

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from Wengen

Thank you so much.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from Wengen

Also use the much more comprehensive German rail site. http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

Edited: 17 September 2013, 19:13
Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from Wengen

I am so inexperienced in train travel. So, I thought Bahn was just for Germany. Over the next two years, my husband and I are going to be doing a lot travel by train, so I will be getting experence. Thanks again.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
516 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from Wengen

You have to change trains at Lauterbrunnen because the gauges are different (80cm on the Wengen to Lauterbrunnen line but 1 metre on the Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken line). The train coming down from Wengen will literally not fit on the track from Lauterbrunnen down to Interlaken.

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train from Wengen

Wow. That is interesting.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,721 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train from Wengen

>So, I thought Bahn was just for Germany.

Bahn is just for Germany (it is the German national rail authority) but is simply has the best scheduler software. Most other national carriers have the same access to all schedules europe-wide (not only in their own country) but the software they use is either worse at stringing together schedules or is otherwise more restricted. You still cannot buy a ticket in Switzerland or Italy using bahn.de but you can look up schedules.

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train from Wengen

Thanks. I am enjoying learning more.

10. Re: train from Wengen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2014, 06:21