We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather right now in Wengen

Washington
Level Contributor
605 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Weather right now in Wengen

Hi Everyone, I have two conflicting weather reports and was curious what the correct one is. Is it 15-19°F and snowing or is it 35-46°F and raining? We will be arriving the beginning of June and just wonder if there will be any trails open for hiking. Thank you!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,619 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather right now in Wengen

According to the Wengen tourist office right now in Wengen it is 2° and cloudy with light snow. Since 0° is 32F 2° must be about 36F I suppose.

But what does the weather today have to do with the weather in June??

As for hiking. Wengen is low (1200m) and whatever snow is falling there now will melt soon. I don't see a problem with hiking in June, at least not below about 2000m or even higher.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather right now in Wengen

Just so you know it would be unusual for some of the more popular hiking trails above Wengen (like the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg trail) to be open before June 15th.

There are quite a few trails at and near Wengen's elevation that should be open but just be aware that even though the lifts are operating etc it doesn't mean that the trails are open.

Wengen, Switzerland
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather right now in Wengen

Dear Kellya,

The weather data's from Yahoo are wrong unfortunately. It takes the data's from Jungfraujoch which is much colder. So, 35-46F is correct.

You get a really good weather report of Wengen on this link (for the next 4 days):

wetterstationen.meteomedia.ch/…

So at the beginning of June it's possible to use all hiking trails around Wengen. It's still unclear if the hiking trails on Kleine Scheidegg or Maennlichen are ok for hiking. We had a huge snowfall last week, so now it depends if that snow melts away quickly.

We are happy to see you in Wengen very soon :)

Regards from the Tourist Center Wengen,

Rolf

Washington
Level Contributor
605 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather right now in Wengen

Thank you for your replies. 35-46 sounds a little more reasonable! We will be coming from Italy so I am just trying to get an idea of what weather to expect in Wengen. I know it will of course be cold at the top of Jungfraujoch. We are planning on bringing ski jackets. I know we are coming a little early in the season but still hoping there will be trails open the first week in June. If not, maybe we will find some lower elevation hikes to go on. Thanks again.

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather right now in Wengen

I would try not to "expect" anything and be prepared for everything. You can have temperatures from freezing to mid-70s or higher. And mid-70s can feel intensely hot - you can burn quickly. And then it can change in an hour…. And, of course, it varies massively with altitude. You need layers (and backpack to store them), waterproof shell, waterproof boots and a lot of flexibility! Summer in the mountains is a lottery but the best thing is that it fits with the saying "if you don't like the weather, just wait an hour".

I am a weather forecast junkie too. But as Hambagahle says, looking at the weather for June now is pointless. Same would be true of this weekend!

Edited: 08 May 2014, 16:03
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
50 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather right now in Wengen

Hi, I plan to be in Wengen on 2nd to 4tth June. I checked the wetterstationen.meteomedia.ch/… but I can't really make out the weather forecasts for the coming weeks.

How do you reckon the weather will be like then?

Wengen, Switzerland
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather right now in Wengen

Hello Sharina,

Thanks for visiting Wengen soon.

It's not sure what weather will be on your arriving. A 10 day forecast is not really reliable. I recommend you contact this weather side: …admin.ch/web/…

See you very soon in Wengen,

WENGEN TOURISM

Rolf

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,619 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather right now in Wengen

You cannot rely on a weather forecast more than a couple of days in advance in the mountains. Things change quickly. Look at www.meteosuisse.ch no more than 4 days before you get to Wengen. And even then it could change.

9. Re: Weather right now in Wengen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 18:05
Folsom, CA
Level Contributor
63 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather right now in Wengen

Greetings! I am trying to get a sense if Switzerland and Wengen in particular is wetter than usual for September. Fair amount of rain in the forecast. We will bring rain gear but I was hoping for more sun, especially in the higher elevations. Thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Wengen
Recent Conversations