We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing plan 1st week of July

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
378 posts
340 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing plan 1st week of July

We will be based in Wengen and plan to do some short day hikes in the area. Possible locations: Mannlichen, Kleine Scheidegg, First, Grindelwald, etc... Also a trottibike trip in this area. We plan to bring both long pants as well as shorts. For tops- short sleeves and light sweatshirts. We also all have waterproof rain jackets. Will this be adequate clothing for these activities, or will we need gloves and heavier jackets? Also, can anyone tell me the coldest temperatures in Fahrenheit that we are likely to encounter during the first week of July?

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing plan 1st week of July

>Will this be adequate clothing for these activities, or will we need gloves and heavier jackets?<

Yes, and no.

>Also, can anyone tell me the coldest temperatures in Fahrenheit that we are likely to encounter during the first week of July?<

Impossible to say but usually the lows in July are around 50 degrees F at night, low 70s F during the day. Showers in the afternoons are common but usually fleeting.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing plan 1st week of July

For mountain hiking I usually take along a tee shirt, a long sleeved shirt (usually a sweat shirt) and a rainjacket/windbreaker. Start off in the morning with most of it on and take layers off as the day warms and your exercise increases. Adjust as you go.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
378 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing plan 1st week of July

Thank you Kim and Mountaintopper!

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing plan 1st week of July

Definitely think layers. One really never knows for sure. You have some idea by the "averages" but honestly, I was in Zermatt last summer in June and it was quite cold in the village, never mind the mountains. This week when I arrived in the same town, there was a heat wave and the weather in quite warm. Come prepared with layers. Bring light (wicker)clothing ,that will work in combinations and hope the weather is so nice you won't need much of them. Make sure you have a hat to protect you from the sun.

Edited: 13 June 2014, 13:14
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,665 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothing plan 1st week of July

It can and does snow in any month of the year in the mountains. And we never know in advance how the weather will be except that, as a usual rule, if it is hot in June (and it is right now) it can turn cold and wet in July.

I think what Marb E means by "wicker" clothes are "basket weave" type clothing that allows air to build up layers of heat. Wicker itself might be more than slightly uncomfortable!!

And also take on board the fact that the higher you go up the cooler it is. About 7°C change with every 1000m. So don't be deceived if at your hotel in the morning it is warm. If you are planning a walk at a higher altitude take a sweater AND always take a light waterproof anorak no matter the weather. We get sudden storms in the summer in the mountains and what starts as a lovely day can easily end with heavy rain.

when packing pop in a small collapsable umbrella. And put this in your backpack when you go hiking...

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
378 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothing plan 1st week of July

Will definitely keep the rain jackets and umbrellas with us in our backpacks at all times! We can't wait to get there!!

7. Re: Clothing plan 1st week of July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Wengen
Recent Conversations