We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days with car in Switzerland - Wengen still reasonable?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
54 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
3 days with car in Switzerland - Wengen still reasonable?

Hi everyone,

We are supposed to reach Switzerland at the beginning of July by car. We have approx 3 days, in which I plan to enter the area through Furkapass and visit Jungfraujoch, the Blue Ice Cave, Aareschlucht, Trummelbach Falls , perhaps lake Brienz with the steamboat. Evidently, depending on the weather and our own pace.

a. If my trips are car based and almost no hiking, is it still reasonable to search for a hotel in Wengen, instead of Interlaken/Meiringen/GrindelwaldWilderswil? Wengen looks amazing, but if i will have to take a train to/from the parking lot each morning and evening, is it logical? If so, where will it be best to leave the car for the night, price for parking and train considered?

b. If not, which place seems better to settledown for those 3 nights?

c. Can anyone please think how to properly plan my destinations for each day, and maybe add his own recommandations?

TIA,

Sharon

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days with car in Switzerland - Wengen still reasonable?

If you stay in Lauterbrunnen you can park your car at your hotel and save the cost of parking in the carpark at the train station. All of the places you want to see are easily reached from there.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days with car in Switzerland - Wengen still reasonable?

Hi ! Whether you stay in Lauterbrunnen or not, you surely cannot take your car to Wengen. Wengen is a car-free village and you have to leave your car behind , in Lauterbrunnen.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
54 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days with car in Switzerland - Wengen still reasonable?

Thanks for your fast answers, I know that Wengen is a car-free zone.

I was wondering, based on the fact that I only have 3 days for this area and i arrive here with a car, if i should limit myself to first-impressions by car for those 3 days and stay in Interlaken/Meiringen/GrindelwaldWilderswil and struggle to reach my up-mentioned destinations (in that case, which place you recommend?) or perhaps add another 40 minutes rail time to each day and leave the car each evening in the parking lot down in the valley.

I am under the impression that even if only seen early in the morning on the way from the hotel/chalet to the train station and again back in the evening, Wengen is worth the trouble and extra money

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days with car in Switzerland - Wengen still reasonable?

Wengen is a lovely villag and certainly worth seeing. It is only 14 min. on the train from Lauterbrunnen.

5. Re: 3 days with car in Switzerland - Wengen still reasonable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Wengen