We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bernina Express+ Chur

Which Chur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Bernina Express+ Chur

Hi there,

I am looking at doing the Bernina Express. I will be flying in from London to Zurich. Zurich doesnt look too interesting so I am thinking of heading straight to Chur. Is there much to see in Chur? A day or so before catching the Bernina Express.

I am on a budget. Where should I stay ? I am just a lone traveller. Is there a hostel ?

Is it wise just to go all the way to Lugano and not stop as money is tight?

Zed

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bernina Express+ Chur

As in an other post you mention a trip in December, I suppose this is when you are inquiring about. In December I would not stay in Chur for any amount of days, as it is under the cloud cover, cold, windy and humid. If you want to see the small old city, you can easily do so in an hour or two walking around, leaving your luggage in a locker at the train station. Same for Zurich after arriving, you could easily leave your luggage in a locker and visit the city, just to have an idea. if you want a city, then Zurich offers much more than Chur.

Instead of staying in cities below the clouds, go up into the mountains where the sun shines or at least it is snowing and not raining!

Depending on when in December you are traveling, there might be also inexpensive options in the Engadin St. Moritz area, have a look at www.engadin.stmoritz.ch. This would make a good break between train journeys, and something is always open. Skiing starts in November, so mountain cablecars are partly open. From Mid-December, each week more shops, hotels, restaurants etc. will open for the season. Before Christmas you usually get good low-season prizes.

Also Lugano is not exactly a winter destination, also there it may be grey in grey.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bernina Express+ Chur

Hi there,

I guess my problem is that I will be flying in from London. I need a place to crash before doing the Bernina - Lugarno. Then another place to crash before doing Lugarno - Lucerne (Wilhelm Tell) Train rides.

Any suggestions ?

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bernina Express+ Chur

Flying in from London should really not be a problem, this is a short flight and no jet-lag at all.

Lugarno is not a name of a place in Switzerland, you probably mix up Lugano and Locarno. When checking travel times and connections on www.sbb.ch, use the correct spelling to get results.

The bus connections offered by the Bernina Express from Tirano to Lugano is not running in winter, see http://www.rhb.ch/index.php?id=33?&L=4

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bernina Express+ Chur

oh. Problem. Any suggestions for a train journey Wilhelm Tell return ?

5. Re: Bernina Express+ Chur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 03:18