We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bernina Express: Chur-Tirano-Chur in a day

Plano, Texas
9 posts
Save Topic
Bernina Express: Chur-Tirano-Chur in a day

We will be visiting Zurich in August (for a couple of days only) and Bernina express is the main reason. We have already made a reservation on the Bernina Express for August 16.

We need to get back to Zurich the same day, So we purchased a roundtrip ticket for Chur-Tirano-Chur from rhb, but only made seat reservation for Chur-Tirano (in the 2nd class panoramic carriage) for now. I am assuming we would also need to make another seat reservation for Tirano-Chur return segment if we wanted to return in the panoramic carriage, correct? But before I make that reservation, I wanted to find out what would be best option to return the same day and is it at all possible to take a different route to Chur from Tirano?

Plenty of seats are still available on the return Tirano - Chur panoramic carriage and we don't mind the cost either keeping in mind the comfort of a 7 year old and my wife I am travelling with if the need be and if there is no other return route . However, how do I determine which side of the carriage would fall on right/left during each segment when reserving? Does the entire train turn around at Tirano or just the engine part? i.e., if I reserve the seats on the same side both times, will it fall on different sides while going and coming back due to train turning around?

Any other tips and advice would be appreciated as well.

Plano, Texas
9 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Bernina Express: Chur-Tirano-Chur in a day

Sorry I meant " I really like the idea ...." above

Plano, Texas
9 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Bernina Express: Chur-Tirano-Chur in a day

Actually found it after searching via Sagliains: Tirano -> Pontresina -> Sagliains -> Landquart -> Zurich, departing Tirano at 13:40. Will have to see if I can exchange my ticket for this route.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,223 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bernina Express: Chur-Tirano-Chur in a day

The Vereina tunnel route goes from Chur and I think this is what eagle was saying. But that might mean a small supplement on the tixs you already have...might be worth it to get a different route for at least part of the way. You can upgrade to the new route at any station here.

As for "seeing the view from the front of the train" on the BEX first class I don't think that is true. It IS true on the 1st class of the Goldenpass Panoramic from Zweisimmen to Montreux but this is nowhere near the route you will be on. I have been in First on the BEX and certainly did not see this as possible. The driver is in the front. It might however be possible to ride up with the driver for a large supplement. I know the SBB offers this sometimes.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Bernina Express: Chur-Tirano-Chur in a day

Looking forward out of the first carriage will be possible if the train is being pulled by a new Allegra unit, but not if it is loco hauled (a few trains are still loco hauled, but not many). I will talk to colleagues and see when the type of train will be known. The details are published ahead of time, but I don't know how long before.

As you will have seen in the You Tube video you can sit in the second row of seats facing forward in 1st class and can look through the glass partition behind the driver at the view forward, the same as the driver sees.

Edited: 03 July 2014, 16:55
Germany
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Bernina Express: Chur-Tirano-Chur in a day

No, the Vereina tunnel route doesn't go from Chur, you bypass Chur and meet the Chur - Zürich trains in Landquart.

I hope you can change the tickets. Shouldn't be much more, just a small fee.

Plano, Texas
9 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Bernina Express: Chur-Tirano-Chur in a day

Sure thing, I would definitely like to try this route via Sagliains and Landquart. Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

A separate question: Some train connections in this route only show 3 minutes in between. Is that enough to change trains or should I plan for the next train instead?

Germany
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Bernina Express: Chur-Tirano-Chur in a day

It's enough if they show it as a connection. You will probably just hop from a train on one track to the other one on the same platform but the opposite track.

18. Re: Bernina Express: Chur-Tirano-Chur in a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2015, 05:16