We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly Rail Baggage service-is it worthwhile?

Which Davos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pickering
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Fly Rail Baggage service-is it worthwhile?

Traveling to Davos- with skiis- in 2 weeks from Canada. Would anyone recommend the Fly Rail Baggage service from Swiss Rail? Thank you

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly Rail Baggage service-is it worthwhile?

Hi, if you are flying directly from Canada to Zurich or Geneva on Swiss Air, most have great luck with Fly Rail but if you are using Air Canada or a US carrier, it can be a problem. The tags go on your bag much like an airline baggage tag and then the bags are pulled from the carousel at the airport (Geneva or Zurich) by airline or Swiss Rail staff and sent by rail to, in your case, Davos. If for some reason, Swiss Rail don't get the bags, the baggage handlers for the airlines seem to screw it up and the bags just stay at the airport!

There is an easier and cheaper solution - when you arrive, just take your bags to the Swiss Rail baggage office (right next to the tickets windows at both the Geneva and Zurich airport stations) and ship them yourself. If you ship them by 9 AM and pay 20 francs, the bags will be in Davos that evening by about 6PM. If it is after 9AM, 20 francs will get them there the next day. If it is before 9AM, 10 francs will get them there the next day and a day later if after 9. Most hotels will send the porter to collect the bags for you if you give them the bag check.

I have shipped bags for many years and never had a problem but I always take them to the baggage office myself. By doing it this way, first, I know my luggage made it to Switzerland and I know if it has arrived damaged so I avoid any argument between the airline and Swiss Rail about who did the damage and I can make any claim right then and there. Swiss Rail have never let me down and have never damaged my bags or skis.

If my arrival is after 9 AM, I just pack so that I can take one bag with me on the train and ship the rest by the fast service (20 francs). The bag I take has ski clothes, etc. for the first day.

Hope this helps.

Pickering
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly Rail Baggage service-is it worthwhile?

Thank you very much .. this is great help!!!!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly Rail Baggage service-is it worthwhile?

Hi PickeringAbbycat,

I'm one who has used the Fly/Rail baggage from the US with a US carrier two times with no problems. Lots of folks have reported no problems with it on this board, too.

So you do have both options!

s

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly Rail Baggage service-is it worthwhile?

True that there are those who haven't had problems but the ones who have had ended up going back to Zurich to get bags....not my idea of a risk I want to take when it is totally avoidable! Anyway, as I've said, I like knowing my bags are in Switzerland and I like the idea that should the air carrier damage my bags or lose one, there is no doubt who has responsbility! There isn't an airline that will take the responsibility if they can possibly blame some other company!

Have a great trip!

5. Re: Fly Rail Baggage service-is it worthwhile?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2011, 05:19