We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Zurich to St Moritz

Which St. Moritz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
654 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Zurich to St Moritz

What train do I need to take from Zurich to St Moritz?

And then from St Moritz to Bern?

Thank you so much for your help!

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Zurich to St Moritz

Zurich to Chur then change for the connecting train to St Moritz. To Bern you can go fast via Zurich or slow via the route of the Glacier Express to Brig or Visp changing trains to Bern. check out www.rail.ch

USA
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Zurich to St Moritz

I'm also taking the train from Zurich to St Moritz. On the www.sbb.ch website they list several different stations in St. Moritz and I can't figure out which one I want. I'm staying at Hotel Schweizerhof.

I also have the option of taking the InterCity or the InterRegio which is the train for the connection from Zurich to Chur. What's the difference in these two trains?

If I pick the InterRegio, I have the option of "via VEREINA OR ALBULA" or "via WÄDENSWIL - SHIP - PFÄFFIKON - VEREINA OR ALBULA" What does this mean for me?

As you can probably tell, I've never been to Switzerland before!

USA
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Zurich to St Moritz

Something else I forgot to ask. Would I be better off booking a Swiss Tranfer Ticket rather than making an actual reservation? The Swiss Transfer Ticket is less expensive but it doesn't sound like you have a reserved spot on the train. I'm also in Sweden right now and not in the US so to have the Swiss Transfer Ticket mailed to me will be tricky where the reserved ticket can be printed online. I'm traveling the second week of December. Any thoughts?

Are there any good websites to purchase tickets at a discount?

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,086 posts
394 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Zurich to St Moritz

Hi 07ski

I can't comment on the choice of the ticket, but second week of December is low season and you don't need a reservation. You just hop on any train you want and take an available seat (reserved seats are marked below the luggage compartment with a small sticker).

As for your question about intercity or interregio: you may have seen the difference in travel time. The Intercity has fewer stops and takes the direct course, thus it takes the minimum of time. The Interregio stops more often. If you choose the part with the ship, this means you have to change from the train to the ship and back to the train, rather complicated if you travel with luggage.

There is only one train station in St. Moritz (St. Moritz Bahnhof = means train station), the other options are connected by bus. For the Schweizerhof, you either call them to send their shuttle (3-5 minutes drive) or you could take a cab (ca. CHF 15.00) or you could walk if you have wheels on your luggage and weather permitting. There is a covered walk through the new parking (and gallery at the same time) next to the train station with a very long electric stair, the exit is next door from the Palace Hotel, from there, it is a short stroll to the Schweizerhof. Or you could take the local bus, but it stops on the schoolhouse square, thus more distant from your hotel than the Palace hotel.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,713 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Zurich to St Moritz

>I'm also taking the train from Zurich to St Moritz. On the www.sbb.ch website they list several different stations in St. Moritz and I can't figure out which one I want. I'm staying at Hotel Schweizerhof.

There is only one train station in St. Moritz. All the other ones are bus stops.

>I also have the option of taking the InterCity or the InterRegio which is the train for the connection from Zurich to Chur. What's the difference in these two trains?

InterCity does not stop between Zürich and Sargans and is thus 10 min faster.

InterRegio does 3 or 4 intermediate stops between Zürich and Sargans.

>If I pick the InterRegio, I have the option of "via VEREINA OR ALBULA"

Two different routes. Both are scenic but I prefer the Albula route (the older one). If you go via Vereina you will have to change twice, via Albula only once.

>or "via WÄDENSWIL - SHIP - PFÄFFIKON - VEREINA OR ALBULA" What does this mean for me?

A lot of time in transit and a part of the route on a ship. If you have time and only little luggage you would enjoy this (in summer.)

>Something else I forgot to ask. Would I be better off booking a Swiss Tranfer Ticket rather than making an actual reservation? The Swiss Transfer Ticket is less expensive

Then you would be better off. It is the only difference.

>but it doesn't sound like you have a reserved spot on the train.

Neither do you with a normal ticket, unless you buy a reservation for an additional fee. Amost nobody does, though.

>I'm also in Sweden right now and not in the US so to have the Swiss Transfer Ticket mailed to me will be tricky where the reserved ticket can be printed online. I'm traveling the second week of December. Any thoughts?

If you get a Tranfer Ticket mailed to you - fine. Otherwise, just buy the ticket when you have arrived in Züriuch at the airport.

>Are there any good websites to purchase tickets at a discount?

What kind of discount? You can buy a discount card (half fare card) for 99 FR (valid for a month) or for 150 Fr (valid for a year), then you are autmatically entitled to 50% discount. The HFC is also available at the airport ticket desk.

USA
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Zurich to St Moritz

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply hedy and altamiro! They were very helpful. A would have been quite suprised if they told me to get off the train and onto a ship.

It sounds like it's not that important to book in advance so I will just purchase my ticket at the train station. It's not going to cost me any more to purchase at the train station is it?

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,086 posts
394 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Zurich to St Moritz

Prizes are fixed rates. Only bargain if you travel more is the half-fare-card as Altamiro suggested. If you travel just Zurich-St. Moritz-Zurich you have not really savings with this, if you do more traveling, I would buy it. With this option, you pay half of the fare on the train and buses and some mountain cable cars, but not all of them in St. Moritz unfortunately. see www.sbb.ch for details.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Zurich to St Moritz

O7ski; Sometimes the computer programme throws up some wonderful suprises! This comes about as all forms of transport are programmed into the search engine. Its best to get a map showing the rail lines and post bus routes then you will know where and by what you are travelling!

Scotland
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Zurich to St Moritz

All this is very useful. Thank you. Can someone advise if it is cheaper to book in advance for the train compared to buying the ticket at the airport. I am travelling mid January but the website seems to just be taking bookings to 3rd January. If there is not a lot of difference in cost I will just buy at airport.

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Zurich to St Moritz

It's the same price. Just buy the ticket when you arrive in Zurich.