We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please assist in choice of Hotel Languard or La Margna

Which St. Moritz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
526 posts
328 reviews
Save Topic
Please assist in choice of Hotel Languard or La Margna

I will be spending two nights in San Murezzan in the second week of September, and have been researching the hotels and have narrowed it down to two probable choices. I have found a deal for the cheapest single room at La Margna for 306 CHF for two nights, or the best single room at Languard for 220 CHF. I'm somewhat leaning towards the Languard because the room has a view, whereas I suppose the one at La Margna doesn't. Is the Languard significantly uphill from the train station? In other words, can I get to it on foot from the train station with luggage?

By the way, both hotels are listed by the Swiss Tourist Office travel brochure as "Bergell Included." What does that mean? And when they say "Mountain railways included" would that include going to Diavolezza? Alp Grum?

Are the locals more likely to understand Italian, German, or English? Is it worth brushing up on my Italian? Are Romansch and Latin considered mutually intelligeable languages (that is can someone who speaks Latin understand spoken Romansch and vice-a-versa)?

Germany
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please assist in choice of Hotel Languard or La Margna

I'd stay in the Languard. It is located uphill, but there's a frequent bus service from the railway station. I would also imagine that the room at the Margna has no view (to the back probably) and the room at the Languard has some view, not necessarily lakeview, but still ... wouldn't hurt to email the hotel directly I guess.

If you stay two nights or longer all the buses and trains in the Upper Engadin are included (as far as Alp Grüm, yes) as well as the mountain railways/cable cars (yes, includes Diavolezza, too, but not for skiing). "Bergell included" means that the Postal buses to the Bregaglia valley (Soglio!) are included as well.

Locals are multi-lingual in my experience. German is spoken by almost everyone. Italian almost as much. Latin is similar to Rumantsch, but I wouldn't bet it makes it understandable in a conversation.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please assist in choice of Hotel Languard or La Margna

You will hardly be able to compare a large 4-star full service hotel (mostly with dinner included - check with them) to a small 3-star garni hotel. If you want something near the train station, the Margna is just across the street. The Languard is uphill, but as already mentioned, there is a frequent local bus taking you up to the upper part of St. Moritz. While the Margna is a walk of ca. 10 minutes uphill from most of the restaurants and shops, the Languard is right in the center.

I dont know if the Languard has single-rooms with lakeview. Ask them to make sure. Otherwise its a very nice small hotel with a cozy wood interior and a attentive attention towards guests by the staff and the ownerfamily. Both hotels are owner-managed.

If you have luggage with wheels, you could also traverse the parking garage near the station and got up the long electrical stairs and then as a shortcut with an elevator to the center, which makes a walk of ca. 15 minutes.

Bergell included - or "all inclusive" as you will find it on the official website of the tourism organization www.engadin.stmoritz.ch means you get the whole public transport as far as the Bregaglia valley (Bergell) and to Alp Grüm. "Inclusive" means all the mountain railways (ok for Diavolezza), but not the trains and buses. It's valid with two consequitive nights stay in the hotels you see the specific sign.

With only two nights stay, you will not need to brush up any language. Most people in the tourism sector speak English or will be able to point you out someone who will do so. Romansch is spoken in so many different local varieties and I think you will not be able to communicate in this language. And then, the majority of the people you will meet will not even speak or understand it, as they are here for work during the season, a lot of them from Italy,Germany and Portugal.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
526 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please assist in choice of Hotel Languard or La Margna

Thank you for your wonderful advice. Well, the description of the room at the Languard was:

Very attractive single room in the Engadine style equipped with pine wood panelling and a 120-cm-wide bed. The large picture window facing the lake offers a magnificent view. No extra beds are possible in this room.

So with your advice I picked this room. It seems like a steal at 121 CHF/night, or about $107 including buffet breakfast, VAT, service charge, and city/tourist tax. The deal seems even better when I looked at their website and realized that this room goes for 280 CHF in the Winter and 350 CHF during the Xmas and New Year's time!!

At those prices, I don't think I'll ever be coming during the Winter unless I win the California Super Lotto jackpot! I'll do my skiing on the beautiful shores of Lake Tahoe...

Many thanks again for the help!

Germany
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please assist in choice of Hotel Languard or La Margna

You're welcome.

I always go skiing there, but I (we) rented apartments lately and paid as much for a week as what they charge in a hotel for the day ;-)

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please assist in choice of Hotel Languard or La Margna

You made a good choice. I know the room you refer to, its nice and cozy, not big - not much space to walk around, but then you have a nice sittingroom downstairs with a perfect view where you can sit and read if you wish and have a tea or coffee. Your room has the typical local pine wood interior which smells nice and the clothes you put in the cupboard will remember you of your stay there if you wear them the next time, as the flavour of the wood will follow you. I usually realize this only when I am away from home.

6. Re: Please assist in choice of Hotel Languard or La Margna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2009, 05:26