We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking suggestions re. possible full day in S. Moritz

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
527 posts
338 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking suggestions re. possible full day in S. Moritz

I will be spending a full day in S. Moritz, staying two nights in a hotel which has "mountain railways included, public transport included, and Bergell included." I would probably like to go to two different areas, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I have been looking in my Michelin Green Guide at the sites listed as "***". I was thinking of going to Piz Corvatsch in the morning. It describes another 3* as Piz Murtel, which it describes as "a steep walk in the snow for 45 minutes to reach the top."

In the afternoon I was thinking of going to Diavolezza, where they describe "Walk to Munt Perz, 1H 15 min rocky path to the right of the restaurant, clearly signposted in orange... Outstanding *** panorama..."

Does this sound like a reasonable plan for the day? Do you think I will have time after this to go to one more *** sight, Alp Gruem, after I come back down from Diavolezza? (By the way, does "piz" mean "peak," and "Munt" mean "Mount"?)

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking suggestions re. possible full day in S. Moritz

I dont know how fit you are and where you are staying before this, but be aware that you are at a high altitude, so going up and down on two mountains and doing exercise up there, this might be heavy on the frist day after coming from lower parts. Also you may rush things and not be able to appreciate accordingly.

I would suggest visting Diavolezza in the morning, before eventual clouds are coming in. You could go upt there first thing in the morning and if you feel fit do the Munt Pers (yes munt is mountain and piz is peak). You need good shoes there with a good grip, but the view is tremendous.

Then, after coming down to Bernina Diavolezza, continue on the Bernina line to Alp Grüm or even to Poschiavo for lunch. On your way back, stop at Morteratsch for a hike towards the glacier and back. This will be more than enough for one day.

Piz Corvatsch in my opinion is not that rewarding, it's more a sking mountain. If you have time the next morning, you could go up to the top for a short look around, then go down to the first staton (Murtêl) and hike 1 hour to Fuorcla Surlej for a beautiful view (mountain restaurant) and go back again to go down to Surlej and by bus to St. Moritz for your continuation by train.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,989 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking suggestions re. possible full day in S. Moritz

Fuorcla Surlej:

…fotki.com/chemallex/…pict4094.html

Diavolezza:

…fotki.com/chemallex/…pict4317.html

I know it's shameless self-promotion...

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking suggestions re. possible full day in S. Moritz

Hi Altamiro, thank you for all those wunderful impressions - I wish I would not have to work today and could go up, it's the same perfect weather as you had two years ago.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking suggestions re. possible full day in S. Moritz

To Lebelgo: mind that with my previous suggestions, your complimentary pass covers until Alp Grüm, for the part from there to Poschiavo you would have to pay. But anyway, on a nice autumn day it's nice to walk through the small town, sit in a street coffee or have some Pizzoccheri (buckwheat pasta with vegetables, potatoes and cheese) and a glass of wine in a garden restaurant. It's warmer down there then up here.

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking suggestions re. possible full day in S. Moritz

I agree with Engadiner's suggestion of Diavolezza, train to Alp Grüm or Poschiavo, and a walk toward the Morteratch Glacier. If there is time left in the day, you can complete it with train or bus to Punt Muragl to take the funicular up to Muottas Muragl. Lovely views of the lakes and mountains up there, and the funicular runs in the evening, so you can watch the sun set over a drink - or a meal if you wish. Another point - if visibility is poor, there is little point going up to the mountain tops. Instead, you can visit some charming villages, such as Sils or Zuoz, and walk around the St Moritz lake, although you still might want to go up to Diavolezza to experience snow. Although it doesn't fit in to this itinerary, there are fabulous views from Corvatsch, as far as the Matterhorn on a clear day.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking suggestions re. possible full day in S. Moritz

Mind that starting this week there is extensive construction going on on Muottas Muragl. Whereas the view remains the same of course, the hotel and restaurant have limited offers. Transportation should not be a problem however, as they are building a separate transportation system this week (by means of helicopter, so some noise can possibly not be avoided).

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking suggestions re. possible full day in S. Moritz

If you happen to be in Morteratsch in the morning,there is a show cheesemaking on the alp there. They offer a farmers brunch. It's a good idea to taste local cheese and milk products. You sit outside under the larch trees on wooden tables. It's open until End of September.

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
527 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking suggestions re. possible full day in S. Moritz

I'm now writing this from Davos, after a marathon 6-train ride from Geneva (changes in Montreux, Zweisimmen, Interlaken-Ost, Luzern,Pfaffikon, and Landquart). Luckily, I sent my suitcase with SBB's fast-luggage service. I'll be in St. Moritz in 2 days now! Thanks for all of the advice!

9. Re: Seeking suggestions re. possible full day in S. Moritz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 05:18