We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in the Engadine: Wow, what a week

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
A week in the Engadine: Wow, what a week

I am home after a week in the Engadine Valley. I want to thank you all that helped me planning this wee, specially Engadiner, whose precise advice and details helped me to have the best from my time there.

I stayed in Pontresina, in Hotel Muller, recently renovated, located in the main street and with good access to bus stops and train station.

Weather was changeable, but I had better weather than I had expected for: Raining on Thursday morning but only to midday (the afternoon was great), and on Friday afternoon, from around three o´clock when I had finished my hike of the day. then on the last day it was raining all morning, but I was travelling from Pontresina to Zurich, it didn´t matter.

My activities during this week:

Sunday: Train to Muottas Muragl and hike to Alp Languard with lunch in the restaurant at the top. In the afternoon a visit to Val Roseg

Monday; Bus to Maloja and walk to Lag Cavloc

Tuesday: Soglio and Sendero Panoramico

Wednesday: Diavolezza. Hike from Ospizio Bernina do Cavaglia, with lunch at Alp Grum

Thursday: Walk to the Mortestach Glacier (The view was not good as it was raining) Then train to Guarda for a fantastic afternoon there

Friday: Sils-Maria and walk to the Val Fex

Saturday: Train to Zurich airport. Stopover at the City for lunch and a short visit and flight back home.

It was great to pick a hotel which included the tranporst at the valley, so you didn´t have to wait for tickets worry about the cost.

I don´t know when but I´am sure I will go back to that beautiful area

Jose

Mentioned in this post
Pontresina
Pontresina
Engadin St. Moritz, Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Muottas Muragl
Muottas Muragl
618 Reviews
St. Moritz, Switzerland
Maloja
Maloja
Diavolezza
Diavolezza
461 Reviews
St. Moritz, Switzerland
London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in the Engadine: Wow, what a week

Sounds like a delightful trip. Thanks for posting.

california
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in the Engadine: Wow, what a week

Jose,

I'm interested in the hikes you took. Were these easy, moderate or difficult hikes? Also how long did they take. We'll be basing in Pontresina in September for 4 days and trying to get lots of information on the area. Thank you so much.

Mentioned in this post
Pontresina
Pontresina
Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
90 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in the Engadine: Wow, what a week

These are all relatively short and easy walks. The Engadin has enough trains and cable cars to allow for short walks in very beautiful surroundings, but of course you make the hikes as big as you want to. I recommend you get the 1/60.000 "Oberengadin" map by Kümmerley & Frey, that one shows all trails in the valley so you can plan exactly what sort of thing you want to do.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
251 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week in the Engadine: Wow, what a week

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. These area is really wonderful.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,293 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week in the Engadine: Wow, what a week

Thanks so much, joseantonio, for posting your report! It's wonderful to hear more information about this part of Switzerland that isn't so well travelled by English-speaking tourists!

s

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week in the Engadine: Wow, what a week

Swandav:

you are right about the not well travelles by English-speaking tourist. In some little restaurantes in some little villages they had only the menu in German and some also in Italian, but with my four words of German, a little help with the italian and my English I had no problem at all.

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A week in the Engadine: Wow, what a week

Sorry I don´t want to give the impression that you could have problems if you only speak English. People are very friendly in that area ant many speak English and are willing to help you with your doubts.

Jose

8. Re: A week in the Engadine: Wow, what a week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 14:18