We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Moritz

Which St. Moritz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
St Moritz

We are going to be in Varenna for 8 days in June, would a day train trip to St Moritz be worth considering

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,067 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Moritz

Hi MACS77B,

No, unfortunately, I wouldn't think so. The trip will be 3h30 in itself, meaning that you'll be inside a closed-up moving carriage for seven hours in that one day.

Also, the town of St. Moritz is nice, but the best things are what lie outside the town -- the mountain peaks and villages and walking trails. And it'll take you a little bit more time to experience those.

I would put off the visit until you have more time to spend there.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Germany
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Moritz

I also think it would be a pretty long day trip, not sure it is worth it.

Another idea would be Soglio. Train from Varenna to Chiavenna (change in Colico, I think), then bus to Promontogno where you hop on a bus to Soglio. Or walk up to Soglio from Castasegna or Stampa. The views are gorgeous, the village Soglio is picturesque.

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St Moritz

personally I think it would be worth if you do it as a very long day trip (leaving early and comming back late), days are long in June. Maybe you can do it as around trip one way via Tirano and back via Chiavenna. Varenna to St. Moritz takes 4:44 hours, but includes 50 minutes in Tirano enough for looking a bit around in the small town. Tirano to St. Moritz is a destiantion as itself and you would still have time for looking around eg. take the cable car to the Diavolezza or take a boat from Sils to Maloja. Of course it's better if you have two days for a trip to the Engadin.

An itinarary could look like this:

07:24 train to Tirano.

08:50 to 9:40 in Tirano then the very scenic Bernina Express route.

11:22 get off at the cable car Diavolezza and go to the top. Have lunch in the restaurant with the great view. It's possible to play in the snow there.

14:00 cable car and train to Pontresina 14:58.

easy about an hour walk to St. Moritz on the Senda Segantini trail through the forest and along two small lakes www.wanderland.ch/en/routen_detail.cfm…

17:08 or 18:08 bus and train back to Varenna 20:36/21:36

Edited: 19 May 2012, 11:39
Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: St Moritz

I would like to take the bernina express from tarino italy to st moritz on may 24, 2013. I can only spend one nite there and could rent a car and drive to chur if that is a more interesting place to stay for the night. We will take the same train back to Italy the next day, I suppose as we will have to pick up our rental car that we will leave at the train station. I would appreciate some thoughts. Thank you.

5. Re: St Moritz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2014, 07:19