We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to break journey bernina express then glacier express

Which St. Moritz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
301 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
how to break journey bernina express then glacier express

I am planning my trip next July. We will be coming from Venice off a cruise so not sure of exact time train we will be able to get. Should I aim to get to St moritz the same day to pick up the Glacier express or should I break the journey in Tirano which would then necessitate a night in St moritz or Chur as we would not be able to get the Glacier express as it leaves at 10am. Also if I dont book seat reservations on the Bernina express and we made it to Tirano in time could we reserve at the station if there was available seats thx Alison

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,600 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to break journey bernina express then glacier express

Hi there,

1] Generally you can make it to Tirano before 2-3 PM from Venice and then can catch a Moritz 'Bernina' train. Possibly a preplanned B. Express train (seat reservation essential) otherwise a regional train on same route.

2] In July Express reservations tend to run out weeks ahead hence in case of a flexible itin from Venice simply don't plan for an Express but for the normal train. Search forum for the differences between the train types, they're not hurting you!

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to break journey bernina express then glacier express

Hi,

If you want to search out the train schedule use the www.sbb.ch which is the Switzerland Railroad Website.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to break journey bernina express then glacier express

As already mentioned, no need to stick to the Bernina Express timetable, there are hourly departures on this route and the local train uses exactly the same tracks as the BEX - so literally the same views, just less comments and not the panoramic windows. However with many of the local trains you have windows you can open for photos, while the one in the BEX cars are closed and you take pictures with a reflextion. Then in addition, with good weather you might get a chance they add an open panoramic car to the local train; this could perfect your experience www.rhb.ch/Offene-Aussichtswagen.2246.0.html… - make sure however to have a windbreaker with you, as even in July it might get cool over the pass and you would regret to sit inside for the most panoramic part.

Did you see that with two nights in Engadin St. Moritz many of the hotels are offering a complimentary day pass for the mountain cablecars and some even the whole local public transport - this is a great bargain and really worth a consideration, as just passing through this stunningly beautiful part of Switzerland ist just a shame. See …stmoritz.ch/sommer/en/bergbahnen-inclusive/ for details.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
301 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to break journey bernina express then glacier express

Thanks everyone, as it is possible we will arrive in Tirano about the time a BEX leaves I will reserve tickets, as the alternative is waiting an hour for the next train. If we don't make the reservation we don't loose too much. Thanks for your time Alison

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to break journey bernina express then glacier express

Hi Alison, as mentioned, only the "express" needs reservation, not so the other trains. It's not so much advantage to be on the express - I for myself would prefer very much the open carriage over the closed box (express carriages) with the windows that do not open, but perhaps this is just me.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
301 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to break journey bernina express then glacier express

Hi again, if I did not make a reservation for the BEX is there somewhere we could pass the time while waiting in Tirano, a nice cafe or somewhere to visit? Also I am looking to buy the half fare card with the family card, from what I have read I think that is possible in Tirano, could someone please confirm that for me. Thanks again Alison

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,600 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how to break journey bernina express then glacier express

Hi again,

1] Well the Trennord station has a cafe; basic but quite decent food in our memory. Maybe the RhB station also has one, can't remember.

2] Yes you can buy these at the RhB station.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

8. Re: how to break journey bernina express then glacier express

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 05:17