We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October in St. Moritz

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
October in St. Moritz

We will be traveling on the Glacier Express to St. Moritz on October 9 this year and would like to stay two nights there. However, I am astonished at the prices for a hotel or B and B! I know Switzerland is expensive and the resorts more so, but Wow! Anyway, Would you suggest staying outside of the city and get a cheaper accommodation, and what would you suggest to see at that time of the year? I know some things shut down until ski season opens and am concerned we will have nothing to do. We are active and in our 50s....Thanks.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October in St. Moritz

Hi Julie, I seam to remember your previous posts (or perhaps it was someone else, as there you mentioned to be in your 60s). Anywhy. There is a lot to do for you in October as well. Most services close around mid-October but even then, the area is still beautiful.

As for hotels: did you see that they offer you the complimentary mountain cablecar pass with two nights - this makes the hotel prizes better and in October, many of them have specials. See the links I gave you on your earlier threads.

Outside the "city" - well, St. Moritz is not really a "city" and the whole area has the same prizes, means you get the same services for the same prize. It's up to you to choose to stay in St. Moritz or a place in the area. And it's really all in a small area, so not much difference here, just that towards end of the summer season, publictransport timetables get sometimes restircted and you would have to commute more if you stay in the periphery.

Another thing: as I learned recently, there is now also a microbrewery in Pontresina - I remember that you asked for this in your previous post.

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October in St. Moritz

Thanks, yes, that was me on the previous posts. Our itinerary has evolved a bit more now, and we will be in St. Moritz later than I had previously thought. Glad to hear that there will still be much to do. I feared we would be too late in the fall and would find most places closed until ski season. Thank you for your quick reply

new england
Level Contributor
214 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October in St. Moritz

Engadiner, a belated "thank you" for your advice prior to our trip last fall. We LOVED the area and will definitely be back, next time for a week to ten days for more thorough explorations.....though we did get a lot of hiking in!

The pass that gives you access to the cable ways, trains etc in the area makes the hotel stay more reasonable than you might think. This pass is an excellent value....really amazing, when you realize the extras you pay in say the Grindelwald or Zermatt areas for lifts there...even if discounted by a Swiss Pass, still pricey. We stayed at the Piz in St Moritz Bad the lower part of town, as opposed to the Dorf which is the upper area. The room was great and reasonable (for St Moritz) and included an excellent breakfast. Also, the restaurant located in the Piz has a terrific bar with really friendly barkeeps and a definite local crowd. The food there was excellent, well priced, great pizzas. The bus stops right out front, and there is a coop grocery around the corner, very convenient. This may be worth a look for you.

The area is spectacular. I hope you enjoy the area as much as we did! We are also active and in our 50s. Have a wonderful trip!

Edited: 29 June 2014, 15:09
St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October in St. Moritz

Hi mcjhNE, glad you enjoyed you trip and plan to be back - just come back here if you have questions, we love to assist you!

Julie: you will not be disappointed, this is a marvellous time, more relaxed than the busy high season and you could be lucky and be here with the changing colors in autumn, just a beautifully scenic time of year. And with the early nightfall you would have enough time to enjoy all the culinary delights the area offers.

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October in St. Moritz

Believe me, good food is always high on my list of favorite things!

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: October in St. Moritz

Send me a PM shortly before you come an I will be able to give you some more tips in this respect.

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
64 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: October in St. Moritz

Thanks! I will do that.

8. Re: October in St. Moritz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 05:17