We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodi - Milano - Tirano - St. Moritz on Sat/Sun Trip

Which St. Moritz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lodi, Italy
4 posts
Save Topic
Lodi - Milano - Tirano - St. Moritz on Sat/Sun Trip

Hi all,

I am staying at Lodi, near Milan and last week only I reached here for official work. I haven't travel before in EU. During weekends, I am planning to explore all the nearby places of Lodi/Milan/Italy.

This weekend I am planning to visit St. Moritz. Through googling, I have made some itinerary, Pl guide me to make it a successful trip. Before that, just to tell that I am travelling alone and would be interested on a low budget stay.

Sat --- Lodi- Milan - Tirano - St. Moritz

I will start from 7 a.m train from Milan and will reach by 12 to st. mortiz.

As I am interested to travel in cablecar, is it possible to cover cablecar from surlej to the top in one day and return by evening train, Please suggest.

If not possible, then which place would you advise to stay - St. Moritz or Tirano?

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodi - Milano - Tirano - St. Moritz on Sat/Sun Trip

If you travel on the Bernina line (does not have to be the Bernina Express, just a local train which stops on the way), you could get off in Bernina Diavolezza and get up there with the cablecar. This IMO is much more impressive than Corvatsch from Silvaplana and it is on your way. This is a high alpine experience, you will be in the middle of glaciers, rocks, peaks and snow, so dress accordingly. Do this only if weather is nice, the CHF33.00 for a return ticket are not worth it just to sit in a snow storm without a view. Check weather forecast on www.engadin.stmoritz.ch - there are local forecasts e.g. for Diavolezza. After coming down, next stop would be Morteratsch where you hike towards the glacier, a beautifully scenic short hike to interrupt your journey.

After that, you can go as far as St. Moritz, where you take the bus to Chiavenna, bringing you along the mountain lakes plateau and downs the steep Maloja pass. From Chiavenna, take the train again back to Milan.

For all your timetables, check www.sbb.ch - as your starting point give Milano, destination Diavolezza, via Tirano. Next step Diavolezza starting point, destination Milano, via St. Moritz and you should get your tailormade itinerary.

Otherwise, plan to stay for two nights in St. Moritz to get a complimentary pass for cablecars and sometimes the local public transport. This saves you money and even inexpensive places offer it. Check …stmoritz.ch/sommer/en/bergbahnen-inclusive/ for details.

Lodi, Italy
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodi - Milano - Tirano - St. Moritz on Sat/Sun Trip

Thank you very much Engadiner. I have never seen such a prompt and impressive reply. Its crystal clear and self-explainatory.

It took very less time to decide and understand the route as suggested by you.

Grazie mille

There are few more question, I would request you to answer 

1) "After coming down, next stop would be Morteratsch where you hike towards the glacier, a beautifully scenic short hike to interrupt your journey".

I just wanted to understand more. After cable car, you meant, do hiking as far as possible, enjoy the scenic beauty and then take a train to St. Mortiz. Right?

2) I have no charm of Bernina express. As I am more interested in sight seeing, will I miss some beautiful scenery if I don't take Bernina express?

3) Regarding weather check for Diavolezza, as per you, what is the decent weather to go for it? Secondly, I am having only one woolen wear and in my country (India), we usually have low temp ranges from 5-10 degres C, so I can tolerate the same temp. in the one that I have.

I also checked weather over internet for Diavolezza, and today it's 16 degree C. Shall I buy a new one for the journey? Please guide.

Also if I will be staying at St. Moritz, then shall I go for a new one?

4) Last,but not the least, its regarding train tickets. As my return time table is not fixed, just wanted to know that can I buy tickets without reservation/ travel time (offcourse date is fixed) and will do the reservation on the train only?

Please guide me again.. Thanks a lot 

Regards,

Ankur

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodi - Milano - Tirano - St. Moritz on Sat/Sun Trip

I shall try to answer your quesions, hope I catch everything:

1) After coming down from Diavolezza, you either take the next train in the direction of St. Moritz and get off again at Morteratsch for a hike into the valley there (which with restricted time at disposition would probably be the thing to do) or you could also hike from the valley station at Diavolezza towards Morteratsch, which is a nice an panoramic hike as well, first along a small river through medows, then through a light mountain forest downhill. While nice, the hike into the valley towards the glacer however is much more impressive and you can hike as long as you want and return back. The first photo spot is right around the first bend in the path and it gets better the further in you go. You can get all the way to the foot of the glacier (the one you have seen from above from Diavolezza). Also this hike is well groomed and you do not need special hiking boots to do it.

2) The Bernina Express is a tourist train on the same tracks as any local train over the Bernina, so no, you have the same sights from all the trains, as there is just the one train line. The BEX (express) has larger windows and narration, while the windows of the local trains open for photos. The BEX needs mandatory reservation at a cost, while with the local train you just bord the next one and you can get on and off wherever you want (mind to take the right class, don't sit in a first class compartment with a second class ticket - this could be very expensive).

3) Check weather forecast here www.engadin.stmoritz.ch/sommer/de/#weather - it's the most reliable one and it's nowhere near 16 degrees on Diavolezza - it rarely is, not even in August at this altitude. Together with your sweater, take a windbreaker so you can sit in a panoramic car if one is offered over the Bernina at least for part. It might get really cool this time of year and the higher up you go the colder it is of course and the wind is improving the chill factor. If you have none, I would suggest you buy a cheap windbreaker who packs easily.

4) In Switzerland - contrary to in Italy - you don't make reservations for trains (just the tourist special trains as the BEX e.g.). Any other train you just buy your ticket and board the next train. So you are free and flexible for your return journey.

If you want to stay in Engadin St. Moritz area, have a look at the Yougth hostals in Pontresina and St. Moritz. The one in Pontresina is next to the train station where you arrive from the Bernina train, the one in St. Moritz is a nice hike along the lake (or take a bus).

If you want to extend your journey to see the Italian part of Switzerland as well, check the Palm Express postauto.ch/en/…pag-angebot-detail.htm from St. Moritz to Lugano and train from there back to Milan.

4. Re: Lodi - Milano - Tirano - St. Moritz on Sat/Sun Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 05:17