We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from livigno to st moritz

Naxxar, Malta
Level Contributor
32 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
from livigno to st moritz

hi,we're a family of 2 adults and 2 kids and we'll be visiting livgno during the new year's week.i wish to visit st moritz and davos .is ther a train that i can take to go there ?

regards

rita

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: from livigno to st moritz

There is a regular bus service to Zernez where you change to a train. Up the valley is St Moritz down the valley for Davos with one or two changes. www.sbb.ch/en

Naxxar, Malta
Level Contributor
32 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: from livigno to st moritz

thanks a lot for your help.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: from livigno to st moritz

Livigno is in a very remote and secluded area - the reason for being a taxfree location and thus expensive products are cheaper there (there are lots of bottleshops, boutiques and fragrance shops). There is no train going to Livigno. The valley is reached over one pass from the Italian part or another one from Switzerland, the Bernina pass and then the Forcola di Livigno, which however is closed during the whole winter period as soon as the first haevy snow falls arrive. This is a very steep mountainous part with a lot of avalanches so it takes time until it is cleared of the snow masses in spring.

The only reliable winter connection is over the dam of the artificial lake and then through a tunnel to the boundary of the Swiss National park and from there to Zernez. The tunnel was buildt by the power plant and is still privately owned, thus you pay a fee to pass. There are certain times of day defined for each direction, so check this carefully before starting your journey.

There now exists a private bus connection several times a day to Zernez in winter and summer and during the summer period over the Fuorcla di Livigano an additional direct service to Pontresina and the Upper Engadin. The service is integrated in the local public transport system of Engadin St. Moritz. You find all the necessary information on www.silvestribus.it/en/regular-services/ - you need prepaid a reservation, so make sure you book in time.

Edited: 14 August 2014, 08:17
Naxxar, Malta
Level Contributor
32 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: from livigno to st moritz

thanks a lot for the information.i will check.

Naxxar, Malta
Level Contributor
32 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: from livigno to st moritz

could you tell me which swiss pass is suitable for us two adults and two kids.i need it for trains cable cars and buses and the bernina express.does it apply for the train from milan to tirano and back?

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: from livigno to st moritz

Questions about the Italian train system ask in the Italian Forum - I suppose you use cable cars and buses in Livigno where you will spend your holidays. The Swiss Pass is valid within Switzerland only - check the map here for the countries boundaries and the validity of the passes.

7. Re: from livigno to st moritz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 07:16