We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Val Fex or Soglio

Which St. Moritz hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
33 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Val Fex or Soglio

Dear all,

I am planning a daytrip around St. moritz on October 3. I shall start from Celerina Trais Fluors at around 7:30 am and will depart for St. Gallen early the next morning. During the whole day, I will come visit Corvatsch, and then I would go hiking from Sils-Maria to Val Fex. After that, I may take bus to Silvaplana Post and hike to Signal to take the cable car.

Well, I am also interested in Soglio, a peaceful village to the west. What can I do in Soglio? does one-hour stop worthwhile or I need to stay longer? Compared to Val Fex, which one is more worth visting? Is it possible to do both? We are in our early 30s and are eager to see more places efficiently.

Please be advised that we would have already visited Interlarken, Zermatt, and St. Moritz would be the last stop of our trip in Switzerland.

Would be appreciated for any feedbacks.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Val Fex or Soglio

I suppose you mean you start at the Hotel Trais Fluors (good choice) and then return there for another night's stay - this would mean you stay two nights and your host will offer you the complimentary day pass for mountain cablecars and local public transport (however not the excursion to Soglio). It what I understand from your post is correct, it would also depend on the other train pass you eventually will be buying. Another point important to be able to help you would be your fitness level and how you are prepared to hike re equipment etc. and if hiking is one of your priorities (also long hikes) or it you just want to cross off points on a list of to-dos. So, the more information you give, the better we will be able to assist you.

To follow your planned excursion itinerary, you could perhaps consider the following:

In front of your hotel, there is a bus station and the bus will take you to Corvatsch valley station. Go up all the way to the top (1 change of the mountain cable car) for the views and then go down again to the first stop, called Murtel. If you want, there would be a wonderful side-excursion. Hike to Fuorcla Surlej, a wonderful panoramic place worth the detour. Then go back and hike to Fex Curtins. There is a rustic hotel in a wonderful position www.hotelfex.ch/online/pages/startseite.php . All the hikes and an interactive hiking map are on …stmoritz.ch/sommer/… This would be a long hike but IMO very much rewarding. From Fex Curtin, you could either hike back to Sils-Maria - either on the paved road with however not very much traffic, it is allowed only for residents in the valley - or along the other hillside from the one you arrived. Or you could take a horsedrawn carriage back to Sils. They start right next to the Hotel Fex and it's a nice way to get your legs relax. This hike would perhaps be more what you are looking for than just hiking on the valley floor from Silvaplana to Signal and IMO it is not worth to go to Signal just for the cable car and nothing else. Signal would be a starting point for other hikes however, but you will not have time for this.

Soglio sure is a nice place, especially in autumn, however you have not the time to see both and as said, your pass does not cover this excursion, while the parts in the Upper Engadin are included. Soglio is a small farmers hamlet on a sunny platform with a stunning view, while Fex are several small hamlets in a mountain valley (you could even go further towards the glacier from the hotel, there are some alps serving food, however I don't know if they are still occupied in October, as usually the cows come down in September).

Another option would be to concentrate more on the Bernina part for the just one day you have at disposition. You could e.g. travel to Pontresina and then on the Bernina line (not the express, the sights are the same on any local train) to Alp Grüm. This is as far as you complimentary pass will take you. From there, take a train back to Bernina Diavolezza and go up to Diavolezza for a real high-mountain feeling. After coming down, you take a train or hike (very nice and not very demanding hike) to Morteratsch and into the valley towards the glacier. If you are interested, you could also visit the Morteratsch diary cheese making bernina-glaciers.ch/erlebnisse/… - see this website for what this part of the area has to offer. If it is to see as many sites as possible in a day, on your way back to Celerina you could stop at Punt Muragl and get up to Muottas Muragl for the probably most panoramic view of the Upper Engadin lake plateau, glaciers and mountains.

Be prepared to fall into your bed exhausted after either of those excursions, as high altitude makes you get tired and with so much packed into one day, you will want to make sure to take enough pictures as you may not remember all the stupendous sites otherwise.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
33 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Val Fex or Soglio

Dear Engadiner,

Thank you very much for such a detailed reply. I really appreciate your kind help.

I think I should have posted my itinerary earlier. I will buy a 15-day Swiss Pass and will arrive in Celerina on the evening of Oct 1. I shall spend the following day concentrating on Bernina Express as you have suggested, I will take local train to Ospizio Bernina, and then hike to Alp Gum. After that I will take proceed to Tirano for lunch. On the back trip I plan to go to Diavollezza and also see the sunset on Muottas Muragl on the way back to Celerina.

Thank you for your advice on Signal. Since it is not worthwhile to go to Signal just for the cable car, I will same my time on something else. Actually, I just want to hike a little bit along the lake. Could you give me some suggestions on which part of lake is the most beautiful and is suitable for 1-2hours hiking?

I will probably do the Fex Curtins hike. Is it easy to start the hike from the top station of Furtschellas? How long will it take if I hike back without taking horse drawn carriage? My fitness level is OK and do not mind doing long hike if necessary. I also wish to visit as much as possible. It’s a pity I may not have time to go to Soglio, even if my Swiss pass seems to be valid in those areas…

Thanks again for taking time providing such detailed information and valuable advices.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Val Fex or Soglio

Well this is a completely different situation now. I should have waited for your details - it would have saved me time instead of writing such a long post.

So you have planned your first day around the Bernina Glacier. However I would suggest you visit Diavolezza on your way to Poschiavo, as usually weather is better in the morning and clouds may come in during the day. Check local weather forecast for Diavolezza (and anywhere you go) on www.engadin.stmoritz.ch - this is specialized for the area here. Make your decisions based on this.

If you want more hiking, there are absolutely beautiful hikes in the Bernina area - if your preferece over monumental train-construction-sites should be hiking, there would be e.g. the hike from Ospizio Bernina to Sassal Masone (have lunch there, it's something really unique) and from there down to Alp Grüm much more recommended than from Ospitzio Bernina to Alp Grüm on the direct way. You then could perhaps skip Poschiavo to have time for everything. Mind that around 7 pm is sunset this time of year, you would not want to miss this and the twilight time on Muottas Muragl.

For your second day, as you have already seen Diavolezza, I would not to up to Corvatsch all to the top, better to the hike I mentioned to Fuorcla Surley and back. It's so different from Diavolezza anc Corvatsch itself after Diavolezza could be a disapointment. And sure you can walk from Furtschellas to Val Fex, its a very scenic hike. If you want to walk out back to Sils, it's probably one hour more. If you want to hike along the lake as you mention, there is not ONE lake, there are several. You could easily hike from Sils towards Maloja or then towards Silvaplana, both are nice parts. The best lake hike on the valley floor would perhaps be from St. Moritz to Lake Staz and from there to Celerina, an idyllic lake and more remote. If you absolutely want to fill your day completely and add Soglio (covered with your Swiss Pass) hike to Maloja, take the bus from there, change in Promontogno for the smaller bus to Soglio, have perhaps your dinner there and get back to your hotel. Soglio is such a beaufitul tiny hamlet and if you have time it is a good idea - you would also see another part of the area, the remote Bregaglia valley, a farmers area where you sometimes feel like in a film about ancient times.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
33 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Val Fex or Soglio

Dear Engadiner,

I feel deeply sorry for not providing all the information earlier. I really respect all your effort made to me, which will definately help me a lot in making a more reasonable itinerary. I am now confident in having a successful trip in Engadin area with your help.

Thanks a lot.

5. Re: Val Fex or Soglio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 05:15