We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of year to visit?

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
190 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Best time of year to visit?

What is the best time of year to plan a visit to Lugano? We'll be visiting relatives next year and would like to avoid the height of tourist season if possible. We don't plan to do any major outdoor activities like biking or skiing (walks and boat tours would be of interest, but not a requirement).

Can you offer some pros and cons of each month/season? (Weather, festivals, crowds, etc.)

Mentioned in this post
Lugano
Lugano
Canton of Ticino, Switzerland
Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
190 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of year to visit?

Anyone?

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of year to visit?

It can be very hot in the summer. I would say the best time from a weather perspective and for avoiding the height of the tourist season is May-June or September. But see www.lugano-tourism.ch for any festivals/ occasions that might appeal to you.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,493 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of year to visit?

I have been to Lugano in May - it was beautiful. But the weather there is like everywhere else in the Alps - depends on what is happening that day! It does tend to be hotter than the rest of Switzerland of course, but you come from iowa, and I have been to Iowa in the summer and sweltered!!

I would suggest spring (May or June) and autumn (especially September)

And whatever you do, go to Morcote!

Mentioned in this post
Lugano
Lugano
Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
190 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time of year to visit?

Thank you very much!

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time of year to visit?

We were in Lugano a few years ago in early June and it was 93! Good thing we had an air-conditioned hotel. We always go to Europe in June, as the hordes of European tourists arrive in July.

Mentioned in this post
Lugano
Lugano
Europe
Europe
World
Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
190 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time of year to visit?

I'm used to 90's and near 100% humidity in the summer. :)

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time of year to visit?

Me, too! I live in the Ohio valley so humidity is de rigeur in summer. That time we were in Lugano was the summer that the heat wave hit Europe very early and caused all those deaths. Very freaky. It was much better in the mountains, but we also fried in Geneva in no a/c. Miserable for sleep. I hear that May tends to be rainier than June.

Mentioned in this post
Lugano
Lugano
Europe
Europe
World
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Germany
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time of year to visit?

After Easter holidays until end of May, then from mid September to end October - weather wise. More festivals are in summer, though.

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
837 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time of year to visit?

I was there three days ago as part of a two week trip to Switzerland. It was neither too hot nor too cold, not crowded but not deserted. We had one day of overcast with rain, otherwise we needed sun block.

I would say that mid-season - either spring or autumn - would be the best.

Mentioned in this post
10. Re: Best time of year to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2009, 05:28