We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan to Lugano by train

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Milan to Lugano by train

In mid-February I need to go to Lugano for a whole day.

I have three questions, as Trenitalia website isn't very clear:

1. Should I buy tickets in advance to save money?

2. Is it quick/easy enough to print tickets bought online at Milano Centrale (sadly, Trenitalia doesn't offer print-at-home option for this route)

3. Is the travel time on the ticket fixed? I.e. if it says departure at 09:10, can I depart on the next train (if there are some unforeseen circumstances)?

Thank you all in advance!!

41 replies to this topic
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Milan to Lugano by train

How many hours from milan to lugano?how much per ticket?

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milan to Lugano by train

The fastest trains takes 1 hour.

The price of tickets varies. You can more information at:-

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,200 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milan to Lugano by train

Whatever you do, don't waste your money on Eurocity trains, take regional trains that take only 20 minutes longer but cost a lot less.

Nasilava, Belarus
Level Contributor
63 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milan to Lugano by train

to poligera:

1. No need to buy tickets in advance. There are machines at the railwaystatins (both Milano Porta Garibaldi and Milano Centrale).

3. Time of the trains on the ticket is not fixed. You have to validate the ticket after you buy it. There are special yellow machines for this.

The cheap/fast option to get to Lugano from Milano Centrale is by regional train S10. It takes 1 hour 20 minutes and cost around 12 Euro one way.

For the same price you might go from Milano Porto Garibaldi to Lugano but you have to change the train in Chiasso. It will take a bit longer, like around 1 hour 50 minutes. The advantage is that the trains depart almost every 30 min from Milano (and also Chiasso). In the evening every hour from Milano and every half an hour from Chiasso.

The fastest and the most expansive way is to take InterCity train which will cost around 22-25 Euro one way. You will get to Lugano in an hour.

london
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Milan to Lugano by train

Hi, just going through all this myself and being unfamiliar with the system, I have a couple of questions. I am trying to get from Bergamo airport to Lugano the cheapest way. So far I have worked out that I can get a bus transfer to Milan from Bergamo and now I am searching for a train ticket. I can not seem to be able to book a regional train from Milan to Lugano in advance. Only Eurocity trains are available. Do I have to book the regional trains in person when I get there?

london
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Milan to Lugano by train

Hi there, your info has been very helpful. I gather I can buy a regional train ticket from Milan Central to Lugano on the day without the price being affected. I wonder if you know a website where I can see the timetables for the regional trains leaving? Thank you!!

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Milan to Lugano by train

> I wonder if you know a website where I can see the timetables for the regional trains leaving?

www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

Just enter From Milan To Lugano. Ignore drop down box choices as when you click 'Search connection' the timetable will show you all the options.

Below is a link to a bus connection from the airport to Lugano.

www.luganoservices.ch/OrariOrio.aspx

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,200 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Milan to Lugano by train

The complete timetable including ALL trains between Milan and Lugano is here: fahrplanfelder.ch/fileadmin/…631.pdf

Nasilava, Belarus
Level Contributor
63 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Milan to Lugano by train

Hi there. The cheapest option and relatively fast is to get by bus to the bergamo railway station. There is a bus which goes to the station every ten minutes. At the station you can buy a tickets to Chiasso (through Monza!). So you will have to change a train in Monza All the trains are regional, no need to take a EuroCity from Milano. You can get from Chiasso to Lugano by any train going North, NOT to Italy (every 20-30 min). The single 2d class ticket is 8.20 chf. For more details on the schedule Bergamo-Chiasso go to www.trenitalia.com. For more details on the route Chiasso-Lugano go to www.sbb.ch. good luck.

Edited: 22 February 2013, 10:43
FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,200 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Milan to Lugano by train

#9 - that may be cheap, but it requires three changes:

1. at Bergamo train station

2. at Monza

3. at Chiasso

Going by bus from BGY airport to Milan, hence by train to Lugano by regional train is marginally more expensive, but involves only one change.

Reply to: Milan to Lugano by train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted