We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"off the beaten path" lodging

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
72 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
"off the beaten path" lodging

Trying to find a really quaint, small, 'mom & pop' type place to stay in the area. Hoping for Zermatt or very near it, but that's not a necessity. I've looked at a few of the places under the 'b&b/inns' category, and I can't quite seem to find what I'm looking for. Any suggestions? Staying late June. Looking for under $200/night. Thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour: Jungfraujoch and...
356 Reviews
from US$247.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,042 Reviews
from US$247.00*
Jungfraujoch Top of Europe Day Trip...
564 Reviews
from US$236.20*
Jungfraujoch Top of Europe Day Trip...
70 Reviews
from US$231.90*
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,027 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "off the beaten path" lodging

It's not very easy to find something like that in the Zermatt area. There are smaller hotels in Zermatt and one that is recommended by one of our regulars here is Petit Hotel as being a small, family owned place that is reasonably priced. Many of the hotels in Zermatt are family owned and operated and so give a nice ambience.

The Zermatt website has many hotels

Hope this gets you started.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "off the beaten path" lodging

Quaint and small is not what I would attribute with Zermatt, one of the main touristic places in Switzerland.

If you like to stay in the Valais then rather look up such spots as the Lötschental or the Obergoms (Upper Goms) in the Goms area:

Edited: 16 March 2014, 04:43
Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "off the beaten path" lodging

... or look at the villages further down the Zermatt valley, such as Grächen, Gasenried, St. Niklaus. You may have a better chance of finding the kind of thing you are looking for, in the price category that you are looking for.

For example: hotel-zum-see.ch/sites/…preise in Grächen has rooms for 75 CHF per person.

Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
39,502 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "off the beaten path" lodging

A lot depends on when you plan to be here. The villages in the Vallée de Conches (Ober Goms) are tiny and although some have several hotels (Ulrichen and Oberwald to name two) hotels in the area tend to close once the cross country ski season is over (usually end March) and not re-open until the summer walking season starts at the end of June. One really nice hotel in Ulrichen is the Nufenen. it is an old chalet style hotel, run by a nice couple and the food is really quite excellent. However I am not at all sure that 200frs/night would do it...but you could try.

Otherwise - I would look at the Val d'Anniviers. This is accessed by bus from Sierre and there are several villages: Zinal, Grimentz, St Luc and Chanolin are the main ones. All are lovely but Grimentz is totally gorgeous. One of the prettiest villages in the whole Valais. I agree with the marshmallow person that Zermattt is not the place you are looking for. I love it and prefer it to many other places in the VS but it is larger than most villages (5000 permanent population) and has a lot of people who come just to see the Matterhorn... The other villages I list are not like that. They are family places where Swiss and especially Valaisans spend their holidays.

You have a better chance of finding a room in a hotel in a smaller place for around 200frs/night as well.

5. Re: "off the beaten path" lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2015, 04:17
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor