We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train fare advice for Switzerland

Sydney
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
train fare advice for Switzerland

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, a 11 and 13 yr old) travelling from Siena to Brig, overnighting there and then to Zermatt. After Zermatt we travel by train straight to Paris.

I have looked at a few options:

buying the 3 day flexi Swiss pass , kids travel free and we get 15% discount. - costs c. 415SF

Or just buying individual tickets for the whole trip- for the Visp Paris leg I can get discount Piccolo fares (c. 272SFfor all of us).

Can you get cheaper fares for Brig/Visp to Zermatt - I can't find it? Is it necessary to pre book this sector (we are going in January)

Any advice?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,537 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train fare advice for Switzerland

First, how long are you staying in Zermatt? It is difficult to find accomodation for under 5 nights during the ski season (Dec through March).

Have you considered the half fare card? It would be 99 CHF for each adult but you would get half off your train fares including the BrigZermatt fare. As it is a private railway between Brig and Zermatt, there aren't reduced fares that I am aware of and a Eurrail pass doesn' cover it but a Swiss Rail Pass does.

You need to simply sit with a chart and calculate the various options. Rick Steves' website (ricksteves.com) has some excellent information about the various possibilities.

Hope this helps.

Sydney
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train fare advice for Switzerland

I will look into that - we are staying for 10 nights (already booked) at the Hotel Bellavista (which looks very nice). I didn't realise the Brig Zermatt leg was a private railway - no wonder it is more expensive. It would seem to be about 100SF for a one way trip for us and the 2 kids.

I will look at Rick Steves site - any more brainwaves?

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,086 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train fare advice for Switzerland

After you get the free Swiss Family Card, children < 16 can travel for free on the SBB network when accompanied by parents traveling with a Swiss rail pass or with tickets purchased with a Half Fare Card.

While going to and while in Zermatt, for you children, it would be easiest get the SBB Junior Card. They would then be able to travel for free on the private BVZ RR and the Gornergrat.

mct.sbb.ch/mct/…juniorkarte.htm

bvz.ch/travelinformation/timetableandfares.p…

http://www.gornergrat.ch/timetableprices.php

Ticket prices for Zermatt ski lifts and cable cars can be found at:

http://bergbahnen.zermatt.ch/e/preise/

Sydney
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train fare advice for Switzerland

Is the Junior card available for non-Swiss residents? Can you buy it if you are getting just regular train tickets for adults? I looked at the costings and it works out cheaper for us to buy Piccolo tickets plus the Brig-Zermatt return section separately, but if we can buy junior cards for the kids, that will make it even cheaper.

I assume that the Swiss pass/junior card etc do not give any discounts on the lift tickets in winter (we are all skiers).

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,086 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train fare advice for Switzerland

Any parent can buy the Junior Card for each child. Only non-residents can get the Swiss Family Card.

There is also a Grandchild Card which a grandparent can buy and then use for 1 year with any grandchild.

Sydney
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train fare advice for Switzerland

Don't need the grandchild card for a few years I hope!

7. Re: train fare advice for Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 21:19