We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer skiing in Zermatt-- worth it?

new york
2 posts
1 review
Summer skiing in Zermatt-- worth it?

I'm turning 50 next year and want to fulfill a fantasy of skiing on my birthday (in July). Can't get enough time off to go to New Zealand, and I learned that Zermatt has summer skiing. I saw by the maps that its limited compared to winter, but HOW LIMITED? My husband and I are intermediate skiers (borderline expert) and were thinking of skiing 2 or 3 days (3 -4 hours a day) and then move on to Milan and Venice. Are we going to be bored after an hour or two? Or worse, be overly challenged and not be able to ski it at all? How has global warming impacted the area? Are there places to rent equipment in the summer? Any other tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,973 posts
9 reviews
37 helpful votes
1. Re: Summer skiing in Zermatt-- worth it?

Very limited. Hardly worth the effort, in my opinion. And I am a confirmed Zermatt addict!

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
15,073 posts
85 reviews
81 helpful votes
2. Re: Summer skiing in Zermatt-- worth it?

You can read about it on the Zermatt website, www.zermatt.ch. The summer ski area is high on a glacier, with 20 km of trails---compared to 313 km of trails for winter skiiing. The summer skiing is from around 7 am to 1:00 pm each day.

We were there last July for hiking, but did see a few people heading up to ski. viewing the terrain, it looks fine for intermediates, but it also looks like one could wear out all the possibilities in a few hours.

http://bergbahnen.zermatt.ch/e/fahrplan/kleinmatterhorn.html#sommerski

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,073 posts
85 reviews
81 helpful votes
3. Re: Summer skiing in Zermatt-- worth it?

Blackcomb Mountain (B.C.) has summer skiing too. It's lovely there in the summer---hiking, golf, cycling, great food & shopping. But it's not Europe.

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
61 posts
4. Re: Summer skiing in Zermatt-- worth it?

Hey,

I've gone summerskiing in Zermatt a few times.. if you're a real ski-fan, you'll most certainly appreciate it. But don't expect to entertain yourself up there for more than one morning (slopes close after noon). The slopes are very easy, not too steep and very wide. Typical glacier-slopes actually.

If you've already been to Zermatt: the summer part (July) is basically the slope from Klein-Matterhorn to the base of the Platea-Rosa T-Bars (X4 and X5), combined with one T-Bar (Grenzlift: X6) and one (rather short) slope open only in summer. I guess it's about 10km of slopes, probably less.

Global warming has significantly impacted the area, and the glacier is retreating at a very rapid pace there. Butter the summerskiing itself is on the topmost part of the glacier and has not really been affected (yet).

Hope this helps

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,732 posts
9 reviews
38 helpful votes
5. Re: Summer skiing in Zermatt-- worth it?

Hi, you might think about adding a guided ski tour if they offer them in summer. They are for excellent intermediate/expert skiers and might give you quite a thrill for your 50th! You can check it out by e-mailing the Swiss Ski School in Zermatt or the tourist office - information for both at

http://www.zermatt.ch

The amount of skiing available otherwise is limited and would probably be one good morning - but it will be a wonderful morning to ski in the sun under the gaze of the Matterhorn!

Hope this helps

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,073 posts
85 reviews
81 helpful votes
6. Re: Summer skiing in Zermatt-- worth it?

Kileysmom---is the guided ski tour an off-piste tour on alpine touring gear and climbing skins? That is a wonderful idea. What a great way to celebrate a "big" birthday. I took up alpine touring here in Washington state; we go out and ski well into June. It's a lot of fun. It would be a great way to experience Zermatt.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,732 posts
9 reviews
38 helpful votes
7. Re: Summer skiing in Zermatt-- worth it?

Hi, I think they do both as well as heliskiing - I'm not that adventerous anymore so haven't read in detail the info I've seen around Zermatt for a number of years. You could check it out with the tourist office and/or the bigger ski schools.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
6,243 posts
29 reviews
49 helpful votes
8. Re: Summer skiing in Zermatt-- worth it?

Here is what I found about summer skiing, just in case nobody has looked it up

http://www.ski-zermatt.com/summer-skiing.html

Xpu-Ha, Mexico
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
41 helpful votes
9. Re: Summer skiing in Zermatt-- worth it?

Hi ,

Skiing in Zermatt during Summer seems pritty average. It does have the largest summer ski area in Europe (although i must admit you probebly will be bored afer a day), the runs are high up on the glacier, and consist of mainly red and blue runs served by what seems primarly drag lifts. The town is wonderful ! It is so high up, global warming as you say, i doubt has had any effect, above 3000 metres. The terrain isn't that challenging at all. There are places to rent equpiment i belive, but not that many.

There you go

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
6,243 posts
29 reviews
49 helpful votes
10. Re: Summer skiing in Zermatt-- worth it?

For: momwants2ski

San Carlos de Bariloche then ? here is what I found on TA

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312848-i5848-k986177-Skiing_in_Argentina-San_Carlos_de_Bariloche_Province_of_Rio_Negro_Patagonia.html

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of in . If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.