We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment or other lodging

Which Zermatt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Davis, California
2 posts
Save Topic
Apartment or other lodging

Does anyone have experience renting apartments in Zermatt and, if so, any recommendations? It appears that the prices are considerably lower per night than for hotel rooms. We are a family of 4 who will be there for 3 nights in July. We're looking at the following moderately-priced places: Haus Cresta, Haus Paradies, Haus Annabelle, Haus Topas. Another possibility might be the Hotel Bed & Breakfast Weisshorn. Is there a reason why they are priced so much lower than the hotels? Thanks for any and all advice.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,079 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment or other lodging

Hi, you don't have any services in the chalets and apartments and provide your own food as well so they don't have the same cost as hotel rooms that include breakfast and, often in Zermatt, dinner as well.

I don't know the age of your children but if they are younger than about 7 or 8 and/or you simply don't like sometimes fairly steep hills, I would opt for a place that is located fairly close to the river so they don't have to walk uphill all the time. I know Haus Paradies from the outside and it looks quite nice. It is well located. Haus Annabelle is not at all well located. Haus Topas is likely to be uphill as well. I'm not sure where the Cresta is located but if it's the one I think it is, another uphill walk.

The Weisshorn is in the middle of the village and close to just about everything. It's fine as well.

Hope this helps.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
614 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment or other lodging

We frequently do apartment rentals in Zermatt. I have not found any apartment rentals for less than one week, usually beginning on Sat. or Sun. We have stayed for 6 nights but always pay for seven. There is also often a cleaning fee. Our last apartment rental was Haus Avena, beautiful 2 bedroom, great view, and perfect location (there was a bakery right across the street). Have a great trip.

Davis, California
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment or other lodging

Thanks for the good advice. We're now thinking a centrally located hotel may work better for the short duration of our stay. We have teenagers, so they can walk, but we don't want to be too far out of town. Any other suggestions?

UK
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment or other lodging

See if you can get into the Rex. It's a 4 star garni (B&B) and is very nicely located. Prices are reasonable and the facilities are excellent with a nice pool and wellness area.

5. Re: Apartment or other lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 01:20