We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Dinner in Zermatt- which restaurant?

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
111 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
One Dinner in Zermatt- which restaurant?

Hey Guys! Me again :-)

We will be able to have one dinner in Zermatt. We would love a traditional Swiss meal since this will be the only time we will be eating dinner in Switzerland. Thanks!!

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,047 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Dinner in Zermatt- which restaurant?

We enjoyed a celebratory dinner at the Walliserkanne on our visit to Zermatt. Very traditional Swiss, very gracious, very good food.

walliserkanne.ch/walliserkanne_zermatt_resta…

It is located on the main street not far up from the train station.

They also have an italian restaurant ("La Dolce vita") but it is mor modern and not "Swiss".

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,650 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Dinner in Zermatt- which restaurant?

The first time I ate at the Walliserkanne was in 1966. Since then I have eaten there many many times, and most recently two weeks ago.

I have never been disappointed. There are many other *finer" restaurants in Zermatt, and some cheaper. But if you want a "typical" Swiss meal for a reasonable price. Go to the Walliserkanne.

We ate lunch there on July 18th. It was a miserable, cold day. We had a warm welcome, althought the restaurant was quite full. We ordered teh "taqesmenu" - daily menu. We had a salad, then a veal sausage and rüsti, then Coupe Danemark. All delicious. For only 20frs each.

Their "carte" is very large and you can have fondues etc if you like.

Great place - for over 40 years!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,417 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Dinner in Zermatt- which restaurant?

Rosti - did someone say rosti? Here I am lurking on the forum and I read about rosti.....you're all trying to make me crazy! It's a few weeks now before I get my rosti! Let's see - 30 days from today! Yippee! Do you get the impression, sarahnwill, that you should try rosti while in Switzerland? It's a sort of hash browns but not like any hash browns you've ever had! Do go to the Walliserkanne and try some rosti! Even for dinner - it's a very Swiss dish. Additionally, the local wines are very nice indeed - look for wines from Valais (Wallis in German) - that's the canton (county) that Zermatt is in.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,650 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Dinner in Zermatt- which restaurant?

Only resemblance between rösti and "hashbrowns" is that they are both potato based and cooked in a frying pan!! Kileysmom - you will have rösti here at our place!! I promise! But NOT for breakfast.

Good rösti is hard to find. Really good rösti even harder. Should be crusty but not burnt, nice shape and definitely cooked in butter!! YUM!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
534 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Dinner in Zermatt- which restaurant?

The nearest we get to good rosti in the UK is at Bettys tearooms. There are now several in Yorkshire, but the best is still in Harrogate. It usually involves a queue onto the pavement, but if I get withdrawal symptoms from too long away from Zermatt, that's where I go.

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
111 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Dinner in Zermatt- which restaurant?

Sounds great everyone! Thanks!!! Do I need to make a reservation for Walliserkanne (we'll be there mid-September)?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Dinner in Zermatt- which restaurant?

Reservations won't be necessary. While you're at it, try their KÄSESPÄTZLI which is like mac and cheese, only a thousand times better. Or, kaseschnitte, which is like grilled cheese, only a thousand times better.

Go Wildcats!

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
111 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Dinner in Zermatt- which restaurant?

Thanks Gotlegal!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,417 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One Dinner in Zermatt- which restaurant?

Agreed! And thank you, Ham! Rosti is not hash browns but it's the only way I know to describe it to Americans so they get an idea. I love it any time of day - it's my favorite lunch on the hill with ham and chees on top and, sometimes, an egg, too. And I wonder why I gain weight in Zermatt despite skiing?!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,650 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One Dinner in Zermatt- which restaurant?

Just be glad you don't live here, Kileysmom...we gain weight by looking in the supermarkets!