We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

inexpensive dining

Vernon, Connecticut
Level Contributor
109 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
inexpensive dining

hello again,

my husband and i are spending 4 nights on zermatt next week and we were wondering if anyone had any advice regarding inexpensive (if that even exists in zermatt) and tasty dining for dinner. We have breakfast included in our hotel package and will be hiking with sandwiches for lunch and hope to do a nice dinner out at a decent price. Thanks everyone in advance for your advice! cheers!

rhode island
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: inexpensive dining

Most of the time the most inexpensive way to dine in Zermatt is to request half board. Failing that I'd around. Try the Bahnhof Buffet, Hotel Post or any of the smaller restaurants on and off the streets. Most eateries post menus with prices.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,965 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: inexpensive dining

This time of year some of the restaurants are closed for their annual holidays. I would suggest asking at your hotel for recommendations. The Post on the main street is popular for lesser expensive meals.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,904 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: inexpensive dining

Try the Walliserkanne - it is next to the Walliserhof hotel on the main street (Bahnhofstrasse). They do very good "menus" (3 course meals) for around 20frs and their offerings à la carte are reasonably priced and the food and atmosphere is good. They are open right now.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
642 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: inexpensive dining

There are two cheaper restaurants in the square right behind the church that do fondues for 23 CHF per person. Some of the places near the cemetary are pretty cheap too. I loved fondue but my husband found the cheese too strong. We both loved rosti!

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,871 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: inexpensive dining

You can always visit the grocery store for wine, cheese, snacks and other tasty treats :-) If you are really desperate there is even a McDonalds in Zermatt :-(

I've never had an "inexpensive" dining experience at any Swiss restaurant...but usually the quality is excellent.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,904 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: inexpensive dining

I suppose everyone's use of the term "inexpensive" is subjective. One tends, naturally, to compare costs of meals out when away from one's country with what one can get at home - forgetting sometimes that one also tends to eat more - and more elaborate things - when on holiday.

That said, I have been to Norway several times and am always stunned at the cost of eating out. (Perhaps I don't know the restaurants the "locals" eat at!) Here are price guides to use for Switzerland:

Meal for 2, with 2 glasses of wine and a bottle of water per person -

In a pizzeria - around 75frs

A "menu" at lunch in a "middling" restaurant - 50frs

A really, really excellent meal in a restaurant listed in the Gault Millau at 16/20 - 140frs

All these "guestimates" include, of coruse, service and tax because these are included always in the menu prices. Nothing is added.

Bon appetit!

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,871 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: inexpensive dining

That is a good benchmark for Swiss Dining. In comparison for my hometown in Knoxville, Tennesse and with the current conversion rate of 1 USD = 1.02 CHF:

75 USD in a pizzeria is INSANE, I estimate it would cost 20 USD here.

140 USD for a really excellent meal - I have never spent that much in my hometown. I would consider 75 USD to buy a really excellent meal here.

It's interesting to compare prices.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,904 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: inexpensive dining

A couple of remarks. The "menu" I listed in a pizzeria included a couple of glasses of wine per person, a bottle of water, a salad and a pizza (individual) all served in a nice atmosphere and including service and tax. I am sure you can eat cheaper in Knoxville, but I doubt you will eat as well - and anyway Switzerland is not Knoxville!!

It is clear that when the exchange rate was 1.30 to the USD some years ago everything looked cheaper! But one lives with the exchange rate one gets and if that is what the USD is worth, then that's it! In fact, when we go to a Euro based country or to the UK we are totally amazed at the extremely high cost of eating out compared to here...and in the UK you have to add the tip as well!

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,871 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: inexpensive dining

Hambagahle: You are correct, I've always had very high quality meals in Switzerland. Some differences here in my hometown is that very often a salad is "included" when you order an entree. Also, water is always free, but we don't typically order bottled water. Also when a diner orders a soft drink like a Coke, it may cost $2 but then all refills are free - as many as you want. My friend was shocked on his first trip to Europe when he discovered that there were no free refills.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,904 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: inexpensive dining

And that wine or beer costs the same - or less - than Coca Cola?

You can get free water here in most restaurants by asking for "un pitcher d'eau". There have been some isolated stories about some restaurants charging for this though! At the Manor self-service you just take a glass and just outside the food area there is a tap for water, and this is free.