We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switzerland in 5-7 days

Which Zermatt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Switzerland in 5-7 days

Hi,

My husband and I (both 42) are planning our Europe trip for July/Aug next year and would love to travel through Switzerland.

My problem is I'm not sure where to go and what to see. We would like to do some hiking and view the scenery and soak in the culture. Not sure on what the weather will be like but I'm hoping it will be lovely.

We will be coming via train from Milan and then we have a further 6 weeks to plan travelling through Europe. I am in the very early stages of planning :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

RMC

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,129 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Switzerland in 5-7 days

Hi, you might find it helpful to spend some time studying the Swiss government's website

www.myswitzerland.com

You'll find lots of information there about the endless possibilities for enjoying Switzerland. Once you get some ideas, we can help you to refine them and plan your time. We'll need to know how you will be traveling (car, train).

Hope this helps you to get started.

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Switzerland in 5-7 days

Hiking and scenery sounds like you should head for the mountains. Look at villages like Wengen or Murren but also consider a few days staying beside a lake at the foot of mountains (Lucerne and Montreaux are the 2 favourites for this). As kileysmom says the best thing is to look at www.myswitzerland.com but also most villages have a tourist office website (often www.villagename.ch ) so if something grabs you look there too.

Trains are very convenient and as you are on a long trip maybe work out where you are going on to afterwards (eg Paris would point to staying at Montreaux but Amsterdam is more convenient starting further east in Lucerne)

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Switzerland in 5-7 days

In addition to the good advice given above, you may find it useful to read through the following thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188045-i336-k3104…

You have posted on the Zermatt forum. Is that because you are particularly keen on Zermatt, or was that just a slip of the finger? Zermatt is a popular and famous spot, so would definitely be a place to consider.

July and August generally offer good summer weather - but, particularly in the mountains, expect a mixed range of weather and pack layers including a raincoat. Be flexible in your planning to allow for changes in the weather (ie trips up to the mountain tops to see the views or go hiking are generally more enjoyable on a clear day).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Switzerland in 5-7 days

Thank you for your help.

Sorry I did mean to post in the Switzerland forum :)

I am working my way through the website. There is so much information on there and I like their itenary.

One definet is I know I want to visit Switzerland but not sure where to go afterwards.

In our travels we want to visit Sicily, Sardignia and Calabria but only for a few short days in each place so the rest is still open. We fly out of Paris so will leave that till the end of our trip.

This year we visited Paris, Nice, Cinque Terre, Venice, Florence, Rome, Amalfi Coast and a cruise around the Greek Islands. It was a wonderful holiday but want to experience different places next year.

Any suggestions on how to fill the gap would be greatly appreciated.

roh
munster
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Switzerland in 5-7 days

Hi, southern Germany (Bavaria) would also be a nice place to spend a couple of days. There is some beautiful scenery there also and some lovely castles to see! Switzerland is a beautiful country so make sure you both spend enough time there to appreciate it. Maybe a good idea would to be to base yourself in two different places.

6. Re: Switzerland in 5-7 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2011, 06:22