We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zermatt

Singapore
Level Contributor
674 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Zermatt

Hi,

The following is a list of Zermatt places that I am interested in

Gornergrat – a cog railway wends its way up the mountain to an altitude of 3089 metres; a magnificent panorama.

Matterhorn Museum – houses the items of equipment used during the first ascent of the Matterhorn in 1865 which ended tragically.

Glacier Paradise / Klein Matterhorn – the highest place in Europe (3883 m) able to be reached by a cableway, with a viewing platform and the highest glacier palace in the world.

Village of Findeln – original Valais settlement with a small chapel; it has Switzerland’s highest rye crop fields at an altitude of 2100 metres.

Question:

Am I able to do both Gornergrat and Klein Matterhorn together in a day? I understad Gornergrat is via tran and Klein Matterhorn is via cable car. And I am interested in hiking at Matterhorn area as well. Any suggestions? And how many days should I allocate if I wanna cover the above places?

Thanks in advance!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,297 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zermatt

Hi, it takes less than an hour to get to the top of the Gornergrat Railway and about the same to get to Klein Matterhorn unless you are trying to go up at a peak time. When is your visit to Zermatt?

I would allow two full days at least and 3 would be better because the weather might not cooperate for one of the days! Again, it does depend a bit on when you plan to be there.

Give us a bit more information and we can give you better advice.

Singapore
Level Contributor
674 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zermatt

Hi Kileysmom,

Thanks for your reply, in that case, if I travel from Zermatt by taking the Gornergrat Rail to Matterhorn and do some hiking there and proceed to take the cableway to Klein Matterhorn, will that be visible?

I understand that to get to Klein Matterhorn, I would need to take a series of cable cars from Winkelmattern - 20 mins walk from central Zermatt. Does this mean that after hiking, I need to take the Gornergrat Rail to Winkelmattern and begin my cableway to Klein Matterhorn?

I planned to visit Switzerland next Oct :)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,297 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zermatt

The Gornergrat does not go to Winklematten. You can see a map on the Zermatt website

www.zermatt.ch

When you return to the village from the Gornergrat, you walk through the village to the Matterhorn Paradise gondolas and go to Trockener Steg where you take the cable car to Klein Matterhorn. It will take about 15 minutes to walk from one to the other if you don't pause for photographs, etc.

It should be lovely in early October - later in October is not as reliable.

Hope this helps.

Singapore
Level Contributor
674 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zermatt

Hi,

In that case, can I plan my day in the morning from Zermatt to Matterhorn via Gornergrat, do some hiking there, back to the village and then cable car to Klein Matterhorn. Then back to Zermatt. Do you think this is too rush for a day? Or do you suggest sticking to just one? And also do you think the views or experience will be similar for the hike and cablecar?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,232 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zermatt

You don't have to come back to the village. Take the Gornergrat train first thing in the morning. Once you have finished up at the top, (large and nice shop, terrace with lovely views, self-service and "proper" restaurant) take the train back down to Riffelalp. From there follow signs for Findeln. (You could also walk from Riffelberg if you like). Stop in Findeln for lunch at one of the nice restaurants and then walk on down to Winkelmattern. This will take you around an hour. the path zigzags through the woods. Once you arrive in Winkelmattern follow signs for Zermatt and you will soon come to the Winkelmattern lifts. Go up from there to the Klein Matterhorn.

Hopefully your visit is for early October as in late October there may well be snow on the hiking paths and this makes them slippery...

Singapore
Level Contributor
674 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zermatt

Hi there,

Thanks again for ur reply.. So it's fine to do this both in a day ya... will not be too rush.. I suppose my trip should be early -mid Oct.. :)

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,232 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zermatt

Assuming you can hike at a reasonable speed it shouldn't be a problem. But two days are better - for one you will give yourself more of a chance with the weather. Mountain weather is unpredictable and it is useless going up a mountain to see the view if it is raining or snowing.

Singapore
Level Contributor
674 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zermatt

Hi Hambagahle, in this case i should separate the in 2 days. I should be arriving Zermatt in the early afternoon. Do you think I should start on Gorngerate first or Klein Matterhorn and leave the other for the next day?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,297 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zermatt

Hi, usually the Gornergrat runs several hours later than the cable car to the Klein so I would do the Gornergrat in the afternoon that you arrive. Check, though, in the Gornergrat office just across from the main train station to be sure. They can tell you the last train down and the last cable car down from the Klein.

Singapore
Level Contributor
674 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zermatt

Hi kileysmom,

Ok, if i were to separate them into 2 days. Both should be easy to navigate right? I will just have to go to the base and take the cable car up. Same for Gornergrat, proceed to the Zermatt station and buy the tickets from there? Usually we will get the 2 ways ticket?