We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail Europe--Beware

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Rail Europe--Beware

As usual, I ordered Swiss Transfer Tickets from Rail Europe for our March trip to Zermatt. It is the last time I will use their service. They added a $32 Rail Protection fee to our order, and I had to search high and low on their website in order to remove the charge. I finally succeeded. Before that, in frustration, I tried to order by phone. After never ending voice commands, I was advised, by robot, that there was a $15 additional fee for phone orders. I never got to speak with a human being.

I am through with Rail Europe. Any recommendations for another service?

Thanks!

Howick, South Africa
Level Contributor
782 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail Europe--Beware

I've bought twice through www.swisstravelsystem.com and the tickets were delivered by courier service with no problems whatsoever.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail Europe--Beware

Hi gotlegal,

Two go-to folks for rail travel are:

Rick Steves www.ricksteves.com/rail/switzerland.cfm

and

BETS (Budget Europe Travel Service) www.budgeteuropetravel.com/

Hope it works out!!

s

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rail Europe--Beware

Thanks, however, you lose money when booking from the USA.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rail Europe--Beware

Got it Swanday! Thanks.

Oklahoma City, OK
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rail Europe--Beware

To add to the question, rather than help in answering ... We are in the US and traveling in March. We need rail transport from Geneva to Zermatt. I have been told to get the Swiss Transfer ticket. Should I buy it on the Rick Steves website before I go? On the website I can also get a free pass for my 13 year old. But do I need a reservation? Or do I just get the ticket before I leave and present it at the rail station at the airport? Then can I use the ticket again to get to the border town when leaving Zermatt for Venice? Thanks so much.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,335 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rail Europe--Beware

Yes, get your transfer from Rick Steves and you don't need reservations on any train in Switzerland. When you leave the arrivals area in Geneva, turn left, walk to the end of the terminal area, go through a huge revolving door (it takes luggage trolleys) and you enter the shopping and rail station. The baggage office is on your right as you walk along in case you decide to ship your bags to Zermatt and the ticket window is just next along on the right. Get your transfer ticket stamped there and ask for the platform for the next train to Visp. That's where you change for Zermatt. When you leave Zermatt, just show your transfer ticket. You must travel to Zermatt by the most direct route and again to your point of departure from Switzerland and both trips must be done in one day.

Hope this helps.

7. Re: Rail Europe--Beware

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2012, 01:16