We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zermatt

Western Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Zermatt

We have 2 full days in Zermatt and like to walk. What do you suggest?Thought of Hohenweg Hohbalmen And Sunnega to Riffelalp and Gornergrat back to Zermatt.

Thun, Switzerland
Level Contributor
33 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zermatt

Dear Rosie

The walk from Sunnega to Riffelalp is very nice and I would higly recommend that during your 2days stay.

Another nice walk (although a bit more difficult) is the Glacier Trail. It starts from "Trockener Steg" and goes down to "Schwarzsee". As the name already says it you are walking along the "Furgg-glacier" and you can find some interesting information along the trail about glaciers in general.

Have a nice stay in Zermatt!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,696 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zermatt

Rosie

A variation on the Sunnega walk - take the telecabine to Lauherd and then walk down to Stellisee, on up a litttle to Grünsee, and from there to Riffelalp. OR go from Stellisee to Findeln, have lunch, then back up to Grünsee and to Riffelalp. This is a super walk with great views and "photo-ops"!

Another walk I love - Zermatt up (very steep at first) to Trift. I think it seems like another world up there. Sadly I can't do this one anymore!! (old age!)

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zermatt

All of the walks mentioned above are good ones. Zermatt to Trift (mentioned by Hambagahle) is the first part of the Hohbalmen walk that you have already looked at.

If you are in good physical shape and want a real close-up view of the Matterhorn, the hike up to the Hörnlihütte from either Furi or Schwarzsee is also a good one.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,696 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zermatt

Hike to the Hörnlihütte is great - but - you must have no vertigo! Part of the path is very narrow with steep drop offs! I got stuck on it and had to come down (but then I am a wimp!!)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,335 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zermatt

Remember that you are walking at high elevation so you need to be careful if you have come from below about 1000 m for just 2 days. Zermatt village is high enough to cause some problems if you over-exert. Should you feel nauseous or develop a headache, you should stop to rest and then head back down. Most folks are fine but be cautious until you know if you will suffer from the altitude - have a great time!

new york
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zermatt

Hambagahle,

i love the suggestion about hiking to Trift from Zermatt. but i have some questions..............

how much time should i expect to spend??

should i head back the same way when i reach Trift?

or is there loop route that brings me back to Zermatt?

thanks

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,696 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zermatt

Unless you are into hgh mountain hiking / climbing, you need to take the same path back down to Zermatt from Trift. It should take you a couple of hours or so to get up into the hanging valley if you walk at a normal pace. The altitude at Trift is around 2300m and Zermatt is 1650m so you have to go up about 700m and it is steep, at least the first part of the way. Zigzag path. How much you spend up there depends on you. I used to love to picnic up there but sadly this hike is too much for me now!!.

If you DO want a more strenuous hike then go as far as the old Hotel de Trift (you can get drinks and snacks there now apparently - it was derelict when I used to go up there ) and take the path signposted to Höhbalmen. This will take about an hour from Trift. Then follow signs for Hubel (as I recall it's a right hand fork) and go down to Hubel and then on back to Zermatt. The whole thing will take you around 5 hours if you don't stop. I would plan on a day because it really is spectacular up there!! And do get a proper ordinance map so you know where you are going!!

If you need more info I think that FarmerMike knows this route and I am sure he would be happy to help!!

Edited: 01 August 2011, 17:21
Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zermatt

Zermatt up to Trift would be about two hours for a fit walker. The height gain is about 800 metres.

You can make a loop route by continuing along the Hohbalmen trail, then back down via Zmutt. Allow about 6 hours for the complete circuit, not including stops for breaks and photography.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
533 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zermatt

The hotel at Trift is now very good for a meal break or just a drink. Hugo will try and persuade you to have some of his apple pie which has always ' just come out of the oven ' as you arrive. It's not cheap, but of course everything arrives by helicopter. For me, this area is very special whatever the weather.

There is an alternative route down by turning right at Trift and passing through the avalanche barriers. You enter Zermatt near the railway station. This is quite an easy path, but I much prefer the beauty of the Trift valley - the same route you took up. This is my favourite spot in the whole of Zermatt, and I'm hoping some good friend will spread my ashes up here one day!

If the weather is good and you are feeling OK at Trift, do take the Hohbalmen

path from Trift. It is quite a pull up on the zig zags you can see clearly from the restaurant, but then opens onto a contour path with beautiful views of the Matterhorn. You will want to stop along here to picnic, take photos or just wonder at the beauty and peace. You will have sheep for company but few people. Return via Zmutt where you can get a drink/food if necessary. Do allow at least 6 hours for this walk. In good weather, there is no better walk in Zermatt in my opinion, but then, fortunately, we all have our different opinions!

new york
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zermatt

Hambagahle, neuch & Farmermike,

thank you for your time and awsome insight.

will report back after my switzerland trip in sept.

have a wonderful day