We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier Express /Rail Tour

Which Zermatt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Clonmel, Ireland
6 posts
Save Topic
Glacier Express /Rail Tour

I am visiting Switzerland arriving Geneva 13/07/2011 and would like to include the Glacier Express and another rail tour, If i get the Swiss Flexi Pass 5 day which I understand I can buy at the Airport, how do i book the express, validate the ticket when using it, does it cover all the travel costs. I was thinking of doing a circut from Montreaux for some days over night stay and back. What would you reccomend over 7 days to trip around and see the Country. I have accomidation around Lake Geneva but would like to book hotel on a flexi overnigh depending on rail tour.

Can you advise

Many Thanks

John

Visakhapatnam
Level Contributor
362 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier Express /Rail Tour

You can book the Glacier express here

glacierexpress.ch/EN/…

With your swiss pass, you only need to pay the seat reservation fee (33 CHF per person for 1st class).

Follow the links in the above page and make the booking. When asked, select the type of season ticket as "others" which includes swiss pass. You can see the list of season tickets available on that page itself.

(It is assumed that you will be in the posession of a swiss pass etc at the time of traveling on the GE)

Edited: 30 June 2011, 12:14
Clonmel, Ireland
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier Express /Rail Tour

Can you use an Interail Flexi Pass for Switzerland and what is the difference between the Swiss Flexi Pass?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,129 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier Express /Rail Tour

You can use it for at least part of the fare but I'm not familiar with this pass so don't know if it will cover the entire cost as a Swiss Rail pass. Contact the Glacier Express office (their website can be googled easily) and ask them about the cost with an Interrail pass as well as your reservation.

Edited: 30 June 2011, 19:23
Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier Express /Rail Tour

You might find this helpful from www.seat61.com

If you have a railpass...

Swiss rail passes: The Swiss Pass covers both the Rhätische Bahn (RhB) and the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn (MGB), so it covers the whole Glacier Express journey from Zermatt to/from St Moritz, although you still need to make a reservation and pay the Glacier Express supplement, see the supplement prices above. Glacier Express point-to-point tickets cost more than a days-worth of free train travel using (say) a 3-day Swiss flexi rail pass, so if you're going to travel by train within Switzerland on another two days or more, a rail pass may be the best bet. To buy a Swiss Railpass, use these links: Buy a Swiss railpass from a UK agency Buy a Swiss railpass from a US agency Buy a Swiss railpass from an Australian agency. You can check regular train fares for any journey within Switzerland at www.sbb.ch to compare with the cost of a pass.

InterRail & Eurail passes: InterRail & Eurail passes cover the Rhätische Bahn (RhB) between Disentis and Chur, but do not cover the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn (MGB) between Zermatt & Disentis. So you'll need to buy a separate ticket for the Zermatt-Disentis part of the journey, as well as paying the Glacier Express supplement/reservation charge for the whole journey. The Zermatt-Disentis ticket costs about CHF 80 (£49), you can check this price at www.sbb.ch, just ask for the 2nd class fare from Zermatt to Disentis. You can buy this at any Swiss station before you travel, along with your Glacier Express supplement/reservation. Youth InterRail passes (but not adult passes) give a 50% reduction on this Zermatt-Disentis ticket.

Edited: 30 June 2011, 21:34
Clonmel, Ireland
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Glacier Express /Rail Tour

Thanks for info,

Its difficult to work out the best value as i was looking for a rail passs to cover any where in Switzerland, the websites are a help but its a lot of work to figure private rail, public rail, bus & boat doscounts .....so many train co .,would be easy to harmonise a general ticket to cover anywhere in Switzerland .... The Swiss Pass does this better but then you have to book senic trains and figure out discounts on mountain trains, i get confused not being fimilar with system.....

Thanks again

John

6. Re: Glacier Express /Rail Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 13:18