We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about trains

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
624 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Confused about trains

More questions :)

I am travelling Australia - Zurich, Dec 22 to see the Christmas Markets!

Then on the 24th Dec, flying Basel - Nice (xmas in San Remo)

Then 30th, fly Nice - Geneva, and train to Zermatt from there.

Jan 3 - Train: Zermatt - Basel, and finally flying Zurich - Australia, Jan 4.

I have no idea which train ticket will be the best value. Some passes seem to include everything, others include very little.

I would use all the trams etc while in Basel/Zurich - plus the two long train trips, Geneva - Zermatt and Zermatt - Basel. Zermatt i'd like to have access to all the transport and lifts (which is a seperate thing i am guessing).

A 15 day Swiss pass doesn't make sense as i will be in Italy/France 24-29 Dec.

What would you recommend i do?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,222 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused about trains

Hi kathylee1,

Have you found the prices for the individual point-point tickets? That would be your first step in determining which pass or discount card would make sense for you.

You can get all the fares for your trips at the Swiss rail site

www.rail.ch

Then compare the sum to the various passes & discount cards.

I'll also say that I've found the Half Fare Card (costs 110 chf and gives you half off practically everything that moves for one month) to be the best option for my own trips. On the day/s when you have a long and expensive trip, you can buy an add-on pass that's good for the whole day.

Have fun as you plan!

s

2. Re: Confused about trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2012, 10:21