We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The One Thing That Would Make Zermatt Even Better

Which Zermatt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
The One Thing That Would Make Zermatt Even Better

This is for the Zermatt experts. Please name the one addition that the resort could use to make it even greater than it already is?

Mine is the creation of a big long wide easy USA type green piste that will send weak or begining skiers into heaven. I think there is room on Furgsattel to do it. I have seen too many Americans come to Zermatt--once--and never return because of the lack of EASY terrain.

That's mine, Any others?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,710 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The One Thing That Would Make Zermatt Even Better

Mine would be a Communal (Gemeinde) Sports Centre with large indoor pool, covered tennis, climbing wall and covered skating and curling rink. All with bad weather in mind of course! There is plenty of room for that where the actual skating/curling /summer tennis courts are...

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The One Thing That Would Make Zermatt Even Better

Mine would be traffic free times on the streets. Those electric vehicles are so quiet that's it's just too easy to step in front of them without thinking. So frightening.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,710 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The One Thing That Would Make Zermatt Even Better

In the days before electric carts (and yes - I remember them!!) you could hear the horses coming because they had bells on their bridles. For the rest everything was either pushed on carts or hauled on sleds. At a "himan pace" by a "live person" who had eyes... Maybe getting rid of the traffic is utopian but certainly they could put bells on the electric carts and lorries!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The One Thing That Would Make Zermatt Even Better

Here are mine:-

- Improve the ski-bus service - currently it is not frequent enough and is seriously over-crowded at peak times.

- Improve queueing on lifts - again at peak upload times lift lines from the village are total chaos - they could use any North American ski-resort as an example.

- Home delivery of groceries for those in apartments - supermarket(s) take note !!

- Hotels and apartments which offer a guest laundry - for those who stay more than one week this would be a very nice addition - again readily available in North American resorts but hard to find in Zermatt.

- Some areas on the mountain could use improved signage - both ski trails and summer hiking trails.

Edited: 04 January 2013, 10:50
rhode island
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The One Thing That Would Make Zermatt Even Better

Legal, you don't think this exists on the glaciers above Trockener Steg? I think clearing the streets of ice is most important. I have seen more people fall in the streets than on the mountain. They used to scatter ground up stones for traction but apparently no more. I agree the snow looks good in the village but ice is tough.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The One Thing That Would Make Zermatt Even Better

soxfan--I think the top of the runs at Furgsattel are too steep for USA green skiers. Same for the end part before you come to Trockener Steg.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The One Thing That Would Make Zermatt Even Better

Clearing the icy streets is right up there for me as well.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The One Thing That Would Make Zermatt Even Better

Um... get rid of all those ski-lifts and pylons that are all over the place, to make it better for hiking ;-)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The One Thing That Would Make Zermatt Even Better

Hmmm - ice in the streets would surely be high on my list but I finally got the equivalent of yak trax for my ski boots and that helped immensely. I understand there were a lot of complaints about salt and gravel damaging the bottoms of boots.

A large sports center would be nice but I wonder if it would be a huge cost much of the year...maybe a good indoor pool and gym only would be enough?

A laundry - there are two in the village.

A delivery service - some chalets have this available for extra cost and many do a first shop for you before you arrive. A business opportunity? Or is there some law? It's amazing to me how many funny little laws/rules I hear about!

Lift lines - I've stood in much longer lift lines around the US than ever at Zermatt except the first line in the AM from Trockener Steg. The solution - head out about 30 minutes later...no lines and you miss very little skiing!

More ski buses - take taxis! There are enough buses most of the day every day and they are rarely full except for the beginning and end of the day.

Better signs on the mountain would be helpful! I think the piste map isn't as clear as it could be as well - it's almost impossible to figure out how to get over to Cervinia if you don't have help.

Beginner slopes - I wonder where they could put one....the drops into the valley are pretty steep. Where could one be developed?

Please get rid of that long T bar above Trockener Steg! Talk about helping the beginners!

Electric carts - please don't put tinkle bells on them - the cacophony would be ear splitting! A bell the driver could jingle only as needed is enough, don't you think? More than a bell, maybe a speed governor? Some days it seems every driver is trying to set a speed record! Zermatt before the carts was more peaceful but surely would not have suited those who don't like walking! My comment was always that you knew you were fit enough to ski when you chose Zermatt because you walked up and down hill along with all over the village in ski boots - great for core strength, balance, quads, breathing! Must say though that I don't object to the elevator/lift from the river up to the Matterhorn Paradise lift station - those stairs were a killer at the end of a long day!

I would hate to see Zermatt become like an American ski area! Good grief some of them even have oxygen stations to help you "feel better!" My favorite area in the US is Taos because it was developed like a Swiss resort (Ernie Blake was a Swiss who traveled around the Rockies looking for a place to build a Swiss style resort) - doesn't hurt that there is fantastic skiing there! I don't think any of us wants to see runs rated differently just to suit No. American skiers!

Now there's something I would change - ban McDonald's and others like it!

Someone suggested there should be a pizza delivery service - is there?

I think an active ski patrol would be good to help keep down the dangerous skiing that sometimes occurs - that is one way I would make it more like a No. American area.

Hmmm - isn't it fun to "rule the world" for a few minutes?

Happy New Year everyone! Now I must get to work as I have a ton of stuff to get done before I can leave - I'll be in Zermatt in 3 weeks so fix all this stuff please!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The One Thing That Would Make Zermatt Even Better

If I may clarify some of my comments:-

- grocery delivery service - if only the supermarket would deliver what you bought in person (no need for online or pre-ordering). Supermarkets at ski resorts I have been to in France will do just this.

- Laundry - yes there are laundries in the village but i'm talking about ones for guest use in hotels and/or apartment buildings - very hard to find. It is so much easier than dropping off / picking up from a commercial laundry - also lets you "line" dry woollens and delicates.

- Lift lines - my comment was not about the length of the lines but the all- round chaos in the lines with pushing and shoving which attendants make no attempt to control. I've seen literally dangerous conditions at the gondola up to Furi as people push to get on the arriving empty car - I've even seen people get separated (as someone pushes in front of them) and people load their skis in the exterior rack but not be able to get on the car.

Anyway - still love Zermatt - going back for 3 weeks on March 23.