We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can i make ski at this time of the year?

Which Zermatt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
1 post
Save Topic
can i make ski at this time of the year?

Can i make ski at this time in zermatt?

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can i make ski at this time of the year?

I don't want to look blunt, but even a 6 years old child can use google.com and find this:

zermatt.ch/en/…summer_skiing

Of course this would require having nearby a six years old child...

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,932 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can i make ski at this time of the year?

zag54 - welcome to TA!

It is true that you certainly could have looked this up yourself... but I wonder from your question if you have ever skied, or acually know anything about skiing?? Because if you haven't, then skiing in Zermatt in summer is not a good way to start. In fact it is a pretty awful way to start. Skiing in summer is on glaciers. Which can be either steep or flat. And if flat - boring! The glacier in Zermatt is pretty flat. Add to that the fact that there are crevasses on the glacier, which are generally marked but which one can fall into and you can see that skiing there is not for beginners.

To learn to ski you need to take at least a week of lessons. And hire equipment. And have proper clothing. I think you would be well advised to come back in the winter and take lessons then. Ski season runs from December to end of April in the high resorts.

Zermatt, Switzerland
Level Contributor
565 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can i make ski at this time of the year?

If I can add another point of view, trying skiing for the first time in summer is not awful. The flat area at the Klein Matterhorn, whilst boring for extreme skiers like Hambag, is a great place to learn the basics of sliding around (in fact, the Breithorn Plateau T-bar provides the kind of long easy slope for beginners that is actually missing in the winter months). If you were learning to ski over a week, then the summer terrain isn't there to progress onto and the short ski days / changing snow conditions don't give you so much chance to improve. So a weeks skiing is best done in the winter.

But if you want to try skiing for a day while you're in Zermatt during the summer, go for it. The ski shops in summer are set up to rent out ski clothing (including gloves / goggles etc) as well as equipment. A ski pass including the Klein Matterhorn lift is cheaper than a return ticket to the Klein Matterhorn alone(?!?). I'd definitely suggest taking a ski teacher as it's easy to get into trouble up there. You don't really need to worry about the crevasses but choosing the right slopes etc and having someone teach you the basics is very important.

I hope that helps.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,932 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: can i make ski at this time of the year?

Thanks for the enormous compliment, Paul H!! Me? "extreme skier" WOW!!

5. Re: can i make ski at this time of the year?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2014, 06:19