We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Zermatt in April

Which Zermatt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
1 post
Save Topic
Trip to Zermatt in April

Hi,

I will have my honeymoon trip to Germany and Switzerland, and planning to stay in Zermatt for 3 or 4 days on 27 - 30 Apr 14. For the trip, i would like to visit the Matterhorn (Matterhorn Glacier Paradise??), do some hiking, and would prefer to stay in the guest house in Zermatt to enjoy the mountain village environment. However, i have searched for some information from internet and many of them advised to avoid Zermatt in April or May as most shops and hotel will be closed in that period; weather is unpredictable; and it will be muddy in the hiking trails. Hence i would like to seek for the advice:

1. Will most of the hotel, guesthouses and shops close in April and May in Zermatt? And how is the situation in Zermatt in April or may?

2. I am planning to go hiking to Riffelsee, and would like to view the reflection of Matterhorn. Will the trail open in that period?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Stephen

rhode island
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Zermatt in April

The ski season is over on May 4 and many hiking trails are open year round. Lower trails are very well possible at lower levels. Shops and hotels should be open until the end of ski season then most close until early June. I'd contact the Tourist Office for more info. Lastly, Zermatt is quaint and accommodations reflect the architecture of the village.

rhode island
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Zermatt in April

I meant to say lower trails are very possibly muddy at lower levels at that time. They are not usually impassable.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Zermatt in April

Hi, Zermatt is a lovely town for sure. Best bet to check out the Zermatt Travel web site at www.zermatt.ch/en/ as they also list summer activities. They are happy to answer email queries as well... The Matterhorn Glacier Paradise is a very good visit and so is Gornergrat.

Zermatt, Switzerland
Level Contributor
586 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Zermatt in April

Hi there. The Gornergrat ski area closes on 27th April but the train still runs for folk to go up and enjoy the view etc. There will almost certainly still be snow on the path to the Riffelsee at the end of April but it might still be passable. There is also a good chance the lake will still be frozen over (so no reflections anyway). Plenty of other photo opportunities though.

5. Re: Trip to Zermatt in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 06:22