We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier Express

Which Zermatt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Glacier Express

I will be travelling with my wife in early April to Switzerland. We will having the Swiss saver pass (2nd class) and want to travel from Andermatt to Zermatt on Glacier Express. Kindly confirm the train Timings in Early April as they are not clear in Glacier Express website. Kindly also confirm if the entire trip is free and covered under swiss pass and is reservation mandatory, considering that it may not be too crowded in early april 2014.

I have been advised that this section of Glacier express is amongst the best. Request your suggestion

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,078 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier Express

You can get all the train timetables on the Swiss Rail website including those that are the Glacier Express.

www.sbb.ch/en

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier Express

Thank you for your reply.

If I do the Brig-Visp-St. Niklaus-Zermatt section on a normal SBB train as compared to Glacier Express, what will be the difference?

Will Glacier express be riding on different tracks or will it be same as normal SBB train?

Also , is reservation mandatory on Brig-Visp-St. Niklaus-Zermatt section in early april?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier Express

I have been checking on Zermatt Website and I found following rates Zermatt - Matterhorn glacier paradise (round trip at 49.5 CHF). Kindly confirm what are these. Are these rates for cable cars upto the base of Matterhorn?

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier Express

If I do the Brig-Visp-St. Niklaus-Zermatt section on a normal SBB train as compared to Glacier Express, what will be the difference?

>> You won't need a seat reservation.

Will Glacier express be riding on different tracks or will it be same as normal SBB train?

>> Same tracks

Also , is reservation mandatory on Brig-Visp-St. Niklaus-Zermatt section in early april?

>> Yes on the Glacier express, no on the normal trains.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glacier Express

Thank you for your quick reply.

I have been checking on Zermatt Website and I found following rates Zermatt - Matterhorn glacier paradise (round trip at 49.5 CHF with swiss pass). Kindly confirm what are these. Are these rates for cable cars upto the base of Matterhorn?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,078 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glacier Express

Yes they are. You get a discount if you have a Swiss Pass or half fare card.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,883 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glacier Express

Rasputinczar -

I am picking up on your comment regarding reservations on the GEX not being necessary because you are travelling somewhat out of season - in fact seat reservations on the GEX are mandatory and you cannot board the train without one... I suppose this is the GEX way of charging a little extra for their train ride! And their lines are not SBB ones. This is a private company (the Matterhorn Gotthard bahn) and has a gauge which is smaller than the SBB. The line does run roughly parallel to the SBB line Brig to Visp but from Andermatt to Brig and Visp to Zermatt there is no SBB line at all...

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glacier Express

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts. Me and my wife had great time last week in Switzerland and we greatly benefited by your tips.

Thank you again.

9. Re: Glacier Express

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 07:15