We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing in Zermatt for absolute beginners

singapore
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Skiing in Zermatt for absolute beginners

Hi all,

My friends and I are thinking of trying skiing at Zermatt this coming December. All of us have not tried skiing before. We have been looking for suitable ski resort or areas for beginners.

I have come across the Wolli Park. But does the park offer instructor or rental of equipments? And are there any better skiing resort or area that are more affordable?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,785 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing in Zermatt for absolute beginners

Hi and welcome to Trip Advisor! First, Zermatt is okay for learning to ski. The Wolli Park is just an area for beginners and you have to join a class (for a fee) or hire a private instructor and rent your own equipment. There are other ski resorts with more beginner areas but if you are reasonably fit you don't ski on the beginner areas for more that two or three days anyway. Of course there are many places less expensive that Zermatt including quite a few in Switzerland but none of them have the Matterhorn!

Learning to ski takes a full week of lessons with a good instructor. Skiing is a difficult sport and can be a very dangerous sport if you are not taught well - dangerous to your well being but, maybe more important, dangerous to others on the slope with you.

I suggest you look at the Swiss tourism office website for more ideas for Switzerland

www.myswitzerland.com

and post on the French, German, Italian and Austrian forums for ideas in those countries.

Hope this helps.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,218 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing in Zermatt for absolute beginners

How long do you plan to be in Zermatt? I ask because if you have not skied before you really need a week of ski school, usually 0900-1200, with some practice on your own in the afternoons. Any of the ski schools in Zermatt can provide good instruction to beginners. That is their job. If you ski at the wolli park you are going to find yourselves surrounded by small children! Very small children!! Leave it to the school that you choose (get a list from the Tourist Office site - www.zermatt.ch to tell you where they will take you.

I started learning to ski in Zermatt a very long time ago, on the Gornergrat at Rotenboden and at Sunnega. And I loved it! Great views even when you are lying flat in the snow!!

For equipment rental you need to go to any of the sports shops in the village. They will fit you with skis, boots and poles. Clothes you need to bring yourselves... waterproof ski pants, warm wool socks (get several pairs because they get wet and need to dry) turtle neck cotton sweater, wool or fleece sweater, good warm anorak, hat and goggles and ski gloves or mittens. I am not sure where you are going to find all this in Singapore so maybe you had better plan a day of shopping once you get here. The "Coop City", Manor, Globus stores and all sports shops will have what you need and if you buy the clothes before getting to Zermatt it will be cheaper.

Zermatt, Switzerland
Level Contributor
648 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing in Zermatt for absolute beginners

The Wolli park is a great place to learn. Sunny aspect, not too high altitude (but snow sure) and the cheapest ski pass in Zermatt.

There aren't too many kids in this area (even in the kids holidays) as most of the kids groups go to Riffelberg and Schwarzsee rather than Sunnegga.

Have a look at group lessons if you're skiing for the first time. Although a private instructor can tailor the lesson to you, your learning style and the rate at which you pick up the sport, group lessons can be more fun and less intense. You also get the chance to learn from other's successes and failures as well as your own.

Group lessons are also cheaper than private lessons. Just be sure to check out the maximum number a school allows in it's group lessons.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,218 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing in Zermatt for absolute beginners

Now this is advice from an expert! Paul H teaches skiing in Zermatt...

yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing in Zermatt for absolute beginners

Learn to ski in Zermatt,and you can ski anywhere

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,218 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skiing in Zermatt for absolute beginners

Disagree! Learn to ski in Verbier and you can ski anywhere!!

Zermatt, Switzerland
Level Contributor
648 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skiing in Zermatt for absolute beginners

Learn to ski properly and you can ski anywhere?

yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skiing in Zermatt for absolute beginners

Think we are getting off topic.

Quincey, go to Zermatt , my children learnt there.

It will stay in your memory forever.

Ticehurst, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skiing in Zermatt for absolute beginners

If you want to get hooked on skiing, go to Zermatt, but be aware that most other resorts you may go to subsequently will disappoint! No reason not to learn there.

Edited: 02 December 2013, 18:45
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Skiing in Zermatt for absolute beginners

May I ask as well what about climbing for beginners - I am interested to learn and wonder if there are climbing group lessons as well??