We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski trip in Zermatt February 23-28, 2014

Which Zermatt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Princeton, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Ski trip in Zermatt February 23-28, 2014

I am sending my daughter on a ski trip to Zermatt for her 19th birthday. So far I have her flights booked and hostel booked. I am confused about the Swiss Transfer ticket. In addition to the Swiss transfer do I have ot buy a ticket on the Glacier Express. My daughter is an expert skier from Canada and this is her dream trip. Are there guides to hire on the mountain? Does anyone know of a professional photographer on the mountain as well. Also I would like to book paragliding for her as a bonus on her trip. Any advice will help to make her trip more thrilling and the best 19th birthday ever.

Zermatt, Switzerland
Level Contributor
580 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski trip in Zermatt February 23-28, 2014

For your paragliding experience, try http://www.alpine-adventures-zermatt.com

If you want a guide to show your daughter the slopes, then look at a ski teacher (there's a list of schools on the zermatt.ch site). If you want someone to take her off piste on the glaciers etc, then you'll need a UIAGM mountain guide from the Alpine Centre.

Professional photographers are extremely expensive to hire for the day. I'm not sure if this is the kind of service you're after?

Princeton, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski trip in Zermatt February 23-28, 2014

Thanks Paul, I will get a hold of alpine adventures. I have found your previous posts incredibly helpful. I am certain with your advice her trip will be very memorable.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,188 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski trip in Zermatt February 23-28, 2014

Hi, the transfer ticket takes her from her arrival point in Switzerland to Zermatt and then to her departure point from Switzerland. It would not cover the Glacier Express which runs between St Moritz and Zermatt. The tracks between Visp and Zermatt are the same tracks used for the Glacier Express. Does that help?

The transfer ticket is the least expensive transfer from either Geneva airport or Zurich airport. She can catch the train to Visp from either and change trains there (very easy - well signed and just down to an underpass and up to the platform for the Zermatt train) from either airport. The timetables are available on the Swiss Rail website

www.sbb.ch/en

Print off the timetables for about 3 hours after the flight is scheduled to arrive. At both airports she should be able to be on the platform within an hour from landing. There are shopping centers at both so she can also pick up some snacks and drinks for the train - much better than the very expensive snacks and drinks on the train from Zurich and there aren't any on the trains from Geneva. It is perfectly acceptable to bring your own picnic!

When she arrives in Zermatt, the hostel is about a 7 or 8 minute walk. She should stand in the station square with her back to the station and facing the Coop shopping center, turn right and walk along the street until she reaches the church where she will turn left along the near side of the church and walk across the bridge just before she will turn right and the hostel is maybe 100 meters along on the right. If she has too much luggage to walk, she could try the ski bus - go into the tourist information center on the station square and get bus info. If that doesn't work, a taxi to the hostel is about 13 francs unless they've increased the price this year. No tip for the taxi - custom in Switzerland. Or she could use a locker at the station and make a couple of trips.

The restaurant at the hostel is the best bet in town for a very good meal at a reasonable price. It's called Sparky's.

Hope this helps.

Princeton, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski trip in Zermatt February 23-28, 2014

That is fantastic advice thank you so much.

rhode island
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski trip in Zermatt February 23-28, 2014

Just for clarification. Kiley's Mom is correct about the transfer ticket/Glacier Express. If you go to Zermatt and return via Davos or St. Moritz you should get the Transfer ticket from Zurich (or Geneva) to Zermatt and return from Davos or St Moritz back to Zurich. I' d purchase a ticket on the GE from Zermatt to Davos/St Moritz separately IF that is the planned route. If you are only going to Zermatt I'd get the transfer ticket only.

rhode island
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ski trip in Zermatt February 23-28, 2014

P.S. Sparky's is quite good but I would guess more like 12 to 14 minutes walk fro the station. A first timer might actually gawk at the scenery enroute and take a few minutes more (don't you think KM?).

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,188 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ski trip in Zermatt February 23-28, 2014

Soxfan, she's only 19 - not old like us! Anyway, you're certainly right about gawking as she goes - the village, the scenery and the general wow factor of Zermatt certainly stops one in their tracks! So let's say it might take her 20 minutes if she doesn't dawdle toooo much! ;-)

Princeton, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ski trip in Zermatt February 23-28, 2014

Thank you your advice is really helpful. Her travels will be Zurich-Zermatt- Zurich.

The goal is to get as much time as possible on the slopes.

This is really fantastic how you are really giving such great information. I have passed your replies along to her. (She is studying for an exam) but is amazed at how helpful you all have been and what detailed advice you are giving.

Thank you

Any suggestions of what is a must see and do in the 4.5 days would be fantastic.

rhode island
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ski trip in Zermatt February 23-28, 2014

I'd suggest she get in her skiing and do all three areas. On the mountain she might want to visit Flualp for lunch and the Igloo for a hot Gluwine ( yes hot wine). It can be a bit pricey but at least a hot chocolate at one of the fine establishments in Findeln is always nice. I'd also recommend she walk around town and explore. While this may seem odd I found the cemetery behind the big church to be interesting. Laid to rest there are many who lost their life trying to scale the Matterhorn. The Matterhorn museum might appeal to her as well. Do caution her about skiing on snowy days. Check the webcams as it may be sunny at elevation and snowing in town but otherwise I do not ski in snowy conditions because visibility is very limited and you are above the treeline. She'll have a ball.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ski trip in Zermatt February 23-28, 2014

A day in Italy will be a bonus - ski down to Cervinia.

I'm not sure of the logic of not skiing on snowy days, I would have said on snowy days then ski well within the pistes but it's not worth missing out on skiing just because it's snowing.

Edited: 10 January 2014, 18:11