We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Zermatt

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Zermatt

Dear all,

I would just like to ask a few questions and if ye could give advice & suggestions it would be appreciated! The Honeymoon would be during Christmas week.

Right firstly we are Novice skiers, we have just had our first lesson in Ski Dubai (not a real mountain slope I know) but it was a start so I can see us going back for a few lessons there throughout the year (living in middle east). I have seen mixed reports on beginners skiing in Zermatt but our Holiday would not be skiing focused maybe only 2 days skiing max. We would be more interested in the winter scene and nice food and drinks by a log fire etc.

Can you get daily ski/ lift pass? A week pass would be wasted.

Lessons and ski gear seem to be easy to get?

If someone could give us a rough Idea of costs.

Also is getting from Geneva Airport and train to Zermatt straight forward experience? We would probably stay in Geneva the night before our departure flight.

It also seems like we have left it a little late and a lot of hotels are already booked or have minimum 10 night stay. 3000CH seems to be the average rate for that week as its Christmas.

No point asking more specific questions at this point until we find more information about available hotels. All suggestions welcomed!

Thank you.

Pollux
Mountains, Ski & Snowboard Areas, Bodies of Water
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
72 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Zermatt

Hi!

We spent 4 days of our honeymoon in Zermatt in 2010, the same week, and it was absolutely enchanting!!

Make sure you stroll around the village at night (the Christmas lights are beautiful!)

I hear so much that you need at minimum 4 days to ski, if you are a beginner. With two days, you would probably be learning how to fall most of the time! Personally, I wouldn't use time on it. Enjoy the town, ride the gondolas (and watch people skiing...or falling ;) There is a neat family run dairy that lets you watch them make cheese, and they were open Christmas eve! Go early! (07:30)

There is also an English Christmas Eve service at 23:00 (if you are interested) at the English church...ask at the tourist office and they can tell you where it is!

Have TONS of fun :) Congrats!

rhode island
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Zermatt

Also, you can get daily lift tickets. There are two kinds, one for skiers and one for non skiers. As to lessons, I'd advise book early as it is very busy in Zermatt that time of year. I would also act quickly on a hotel.

Level Contributor
307 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Zermatt

Yes you can get daily lift passes.

Lessons will be fully booked in Christmas week if you leave it until you get here. So book now! Same with hotels. Change over day is Saturday, so you will need to book a week Sat-Sat, you won't get a shorter stay in peak season.

If you don't mind delaying your Honeymoon, mid January will be much quieter and therefore hotels cheaper.

Train from Geneva is easy. Get the train direction Brig, get of in Visp and change to the Zermatt train, very simple, it takes 3hrs 45 mins. Be careful with your arrival time into Geneva, that you aren't too late for the last train to Zermatt, I think you need to be in Geneva by around 1600. You can check train times on www.sbb.ch/en

Costs - Zermatt is expensive (but worth it).

Edited: 09 May 2014, 01:41
Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Zermatt

Thanks for the advise all, Think for this Decemeber we have all ready left it too late with out spending a small fortune. May switch to Morzine still flying to Geneva and maybe get to Zermatt next year!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
72 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Zermatt

We didn't plan out homeymoon until September/Oct, and found a hotel for about $175 a night...maybe just spend a few nights there? I hate for you to miss Zermatt at Christmas...it's so magical :)

6. Re: Honeymoon in Zermatt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 05:17