We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Zermatt to Breuil-Cervinia

Saskatoon, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Traveling from Zermatt to Breuil-Cervinia

I am planning a trip in northern Italy in late July and found myself wanting to stay in Zermatt. It would aid my travels greatly to be able to somehow travel from Zermatt to Breuil-Cervinia. I have looked into it and I think I might be able to do it:

1) cable cars from Zermatt to the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise

2) ski west across Plateau Rosa

3) cable cars down to Breuil-Cervinia.

First, I am traveling carry-on only, so I would have to rent gear. My biggest concern is that I don't know if I can return my Swiss rental gear in Italy. Does anyone know of a shop that allows this?

Second, is it at all possible to do this without renting ski gear? I am a confident skier, but it would be nice not to have to deal with the whole international renting problem.

Last, will the proposed route even work? I will be doing this around July 28th. I am not sure if the cable car on the Italian side runs in the summer.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Zermatt
Zermatt
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
Breuil-Cervinia
Breuil-Cervinia
Valtournenche, Italy
Matterhorn Glacier Paradise
Matterhorn Glacier...
1,848 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,472 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Zermatt to Breuil-Cervinia

My first reaction was this won't work - but I think it might. Here is a link to the Cervina lift opening times - you will need the lift to the Plateau Rosa.

cervinia.it/pages/…573

as for renting skis etc - that might be the real problem. I suggest you contact some Zermatt ski shops and see if they can do this (I sort of doubt it though) Glacier Sports there is an Intersport affiliate and might have a link to something in Cervinia...

http://www.glacier-intersport.ch/

Can you let us know what you find out and then what you actually do?? It would be fascinating.

Mentioned in this post
Zermatt
Zermatt
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,347 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Zermatt to Breuil-Cervinia

The only gear that you need are good hiking boots and some stamina. You can hike across Plateau Rosa in an hour, just keep to the edge of the ski slope. And do not forget a hat, gloves and sun protection even if it is cloudy. Don't forget you are above 3000 m.

Level Contributor
307 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Zermatt to Breuil-Cervinia

This won't work. You can't return your hire gear to Italy.

Walking is dangerous, it is a glacier. To walk across it you should be roped up. It is also pretty icey. Maybe you could pay the lift company for a skidoo ride across but I'm not sure how easy that would be to organise.

To be honest it is a big effort for not much gain. It would take you around 3 hours to get up to Klein Matterhorn, walk across to Testa Griga the get the lifts down to Cervina..... The train from Zermatt to Milan only takes 4 hours. Also there is the chance the lifts maybe closed due to bad weather. On top of that the summer lift pass in Zermatt does not include the Cervina lifts, so it will get pricey!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
The Matterhorn
The Matterhorn
3,110 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
Zermatt
Zermatt
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,472 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Zermatt to Breuil-Cervinia

You cannot hire skidoos in Switzerland. Illegal. They can only be operated with a special permit.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
307 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Zermatt to Breuil-Cervinia

Yes, but there is nothing to stop the lift company giving you a ride on the back of their skidoo. They do it all the time for skiers who have got themselves into trouble one way or another. But I don't really think it's an option, would be very difficult to arrange.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,472 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from Zermatt to Breuil-Cervinia

Oh yes there is! If they take an injured skier down that is one thing. But they are not a taxi service nor are they allowed to be one. Things here are quite strict...

7. Re: Traveling from Zermatt to Breuil-Cervinia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2015, 07:15