We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Matterhorn Paradise-discounted cable car ticket ?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
788 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Matterhorn Paradise-discounted cable car ticket ?

We will be visiting Zermatt this end November and we wish to visit Matterhorn Paradise.

We would like to go up to the highest level of the mountain, and from the website I have checked, it show a single return ticket cost CHF 99, is the the correct cost for us? There are many other ticket price and I am just not really sure what are they.

Same time, we are a family of 4, two adults and two children aged 14 & 12, shall we buy any Swiss Pass or Swiss Family card to get cable car discount ? Btw, we will only be staying in Switzerland for 5 days so our travel only involve Milan to Zermatt, and Zermatt to Lucerne or Zurich. And our cable car ride only Matterhorn Paradise, not sure is it worth to get the above.

Looking for replies from all experts, thanks.

Pollux
Mountains, Ski & Snowboard Areas, Bodies of Water
Level Contributor
307 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Matterhorn Paradise-discounted cable car ticket ?

The cable car from Trockner Steg to Klein Matterhorn (where the Glacier Palace is) is closed from Oct 27 - Nov 21 for maintenance, so you may not be able to go up there unless you are visiting at the very end of November.

Tickets are expensive, you can get cheaper tickets with a halbtax, swiss pass etc. The glacier palace isn't included in this and you have to pay a little extra to go down there (8 francs for an adult I think).

I would add that it is ridiculously cold up there in November and the weather is normally evil. If you just want to see the mountains and aren't that bothered about the Glacier Palace, then go up to Gornergrat on the train instead, it will be a much more civilised experience!

Edited: 20 July 2014, 18:06
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
788 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Matterhorn Paradise-discounted cable car ticket ?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes we noted that the Klein Matterhorn is closed for maintenance and our visit will be approx 30th Nov.

We are not too fancy about the Glacier Palace and our aim is just step out of the snow mountain, have fun and play with it.

Is the train to Gornegrat would fulfill us the above ?

Do you have any idea how long is the train journey and what exactly is the activity involve ?

Thanks.

Level Contributor
307 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Matterhorn Paradise-discounted cable car ticket ?

The ski area at gornergrat opens on the 29th of November so there will definitely be snow up there. The gornergrat train is a mountain train which goes approx every 25 minutes. There is a direct train to gornergrat which takes about 20 minutes and an all stops train which takes about 40 minutes. At the top there are shops and a restaurant. You can also get off a stop earlier at Rotenboden and sledge down to Riffelberg. That will probably be more fun than Klein Matterhorn as it won't be as cold.

There should be snow everywhere by by then though, so you could go up to Sunnega or Trockner Steg too. Just see what the weather is like.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,218 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Matterhorn Paradise-discounted cable car ticket ?

First, if you want to really "play" in the snow there are more things to do at the Klein Matterhorn than at the Gornergrat for non skiers. Second - in my opinion the view from the Gornergrat is much superior to that from the Klein Matterhorn. AND the ticket up and back is cheaper. From the Gornergrat you have a fantastic view of the Matterhorn, on its "classic" side. And also about 10 or more of the some 29 4000m+ mountains around Zermatt including the highest in the country, the Monte Rosa's Dufour peak. And if you have an interest in Geology you can see the African tectonic plate - where the Matterhorn is - and the Euorpean plate, where you are stanind and where the Monte Rosa etc are. Fascinating.

As for a pass - work out whether a Swiss pass and it's free Family card is good for you by doing the maths. It will give you 50%off both the Gornergrat and the Klein Matterhorn. If it doesn't work for you then get a Junior card for each child - 30frs each. They then travel free with you everywhere.

Level Contributor
307 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Matterhorn Paradise-discounted cable car ticket ?

"First, if you want to really "play" in the snow there are more things to do at the Klein Matterhorn than at the Gornergrat for non skiers."

In November? Like what?

If you go all the way up to Klein Matterhorn at the end of November, all you will be able to do is walk outside of the tunnel and onto the beginning of the ski piste. The tubing area won't be open. It is likely to be around -20°c with high winds, so you won't want to stay out there long at all. I can't even bear skiing up there at that time of year, the number of times I've got frost bite on that glacier in November is unreal!

If you go to Gornergrat, you can go sledding, hike or snow shoe between train stations. The journey up is nicer and warmer. The facilities are nicer. The view is nicer. The weather is nicer. You can probably have your picture taken with the St Bernard.

If the kids want to try skiing, the head to Sunnegga as the beginners park is there. At Sunnegga there are also hiking trails.

Level Contributor
307 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Matterhorn Paradise-discounted cable car ticket ?

I am not sure if the sledge track at Gornergrat (Rotenboden) will open on the same day as the ski area or later. But this gives you an idea should it be open. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=paov5UNJZOA

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,218 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Matterhorn Paradise-discounted cable car ticket ?

You simply cannot forecast the temperatures and winds up in the mountains this far in advance. It is possible that it might be minus 20. It is equally possible that it might be zero. There might or might not be winds - we would not know till a couple of days before.

At the Klein Matterhorn you can walk outside, play in the snow etc. at the Gornergrat it is steep getting down from there to either Riffelberg or Rotenboden. Perhaps the best option might be to go to the Gornergrat, walk around the top there (nice terrace) and then come back down to Riffelberg in the train. It is much flatter there and there is a self service restaurant which will probably be open at the very end of November .

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
788 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Matterhorn Paradise-discounted cable car ticket ?

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies, I am very much appreciated.

Dear Cannef, would you elaborate more on all stops train to Gornegrat ? its sounds interesting to us. Does it simply means we can hop off in between train for photos, fun and hop on to another train once we have done?

Or the train will just stop and wait for us to take photos and we will jump back to the same train ?

As for Sunnega , this is also a cable car ride up trip right ? Am i right that Sunnega shared the same cable car ride/station with Klein Matterhorn but just that Sunnega is at a lower level ?

Dear Hambagahle, i have email to the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise official website to ask about the most likely weather over there in November, and seeking their advise to go up to Klein Matterhorn in November.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,218 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Matterhorn Paradise-discounted cable car ticket ?

In Switzerland a train ticket entitles you to travel a certain route on the day specified. You can get on and off the train at any stop, getting back on the next train to continue to your destination. So yes, on the Gornergrat you can get off, walk around, get back on. But in late November there will probably be snow all the way up. Be sure that you are dressed appropriately since you might have to wait some time between trains.

Sunnega is an underground funicular. Above that are a telecabine to Blauherd and a cable car to Unterrothorn. Sunnega is lower than the Klein Matterhorn but it is a totally different part of Zermatt and has no link to the Klein Matterhorn.

You can find our average temperatures in November or an other month on a lot of weather sites. I would be surprised if the good people at the Klein Matterhorn would tell you not to go! It really is best in the mountains to stay flexible and make your plans at the earliest on the day before.

Level Contributor
307 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Matterhorn Paradise-discounted cable car ticket ?

The train won't wait, so you'd have to get the next train which means a 20 minute wait.

The first stop is Findelbach, not much to see there, stay on. Next is Riffelalp, if you get off here, you can walk through the trees to the hotel complex, nice view of the Matterhorn, but it's better higher up, but it's cute to walk through the trees in the snow. Then you have Riffelberg, self service restaurant and end of the sledge run. Next is Rotenboden, not much there but start and end of some walks and start of sledge run. Last stop is Gornergrat itself. You can check it out here zermatt.ch/en/…Gornergrat

As has been pointed out, you can't tell the weather in advance. Normally you would be able to get up to Klein Matterhorn as long as the wind is not high enough to close the cable car. However, I spend virtually every day in November up on that glacier, every year…. in 6 or 7 layers (as many as I can get on) of damn good technical ski wear… and I am still miserably cold… but what do I know.

Have a few plans and make the call on the day. Temperatures can be checked out at zermatt.ch/en/Weather-forecast/Current-tempe… and forecast at http://www.zermatt.ch/en/Weather-forecast

Edited: 21 July 2014, 21:18