We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there any direct train from Lugano to Zermatt?

Penang, Pulau...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is there any direct train from Lugano to Zermatt?

I'll travel from Milan to Lugano and the stay there for two night. After that, I plan to travel to Zermatt. Is there any direct train from Lugano to Zermatt?

How long the journey and cost?

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there any direct train from Lugano to Zermatt?

No there is not a direct train. You need to look at a map of Europe to understand why. Lakes and mountains make the journey far from direct but not insurmountable There are several ways to go, either through Milan or via Locarno and the Centovalli or to Goschenen and the narrow gauge MGB railway.

www.sbb.ch

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there any direct train from Lugano to Zermatt?

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g188098-i858-k77…

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there any direct train from Lugano to Zermatt?

A very scenic option is to go from Lugano to Andermatt, then catch the Glacier Express from Andermatt to Zermatt, that is, assuming you will be travelling when the Glacier Express is running.

If you are willing to depart early from Lugano, there is a train to Andermatt with only one change, at Göschenen. It would involve a longish stop-over in Andermatt, which you might not mind - it is an attractive village. Otherwise there are two changes to get to Andermatt, then of course the direct GE train to Zermatt.

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there any direct train from Lugano to Zermatt?

Hi,

Not sure how long you are staying in Europe and if you have a swiss pass.

Although it is backtracking. It might be easier and a little less expensive to go back to Milan and take a direct train to Brig..unless you have a swiss pass.

You need to do the comparisons. Again, look at the sbb.ch

Also check out the www.swisstravelsytem.com

Good Luck!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,889 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there any direct train from Lugano to Zermatt?

Marb E is right. Milan is the "fast" route. 1 hour to Milan from Lugano, 2 hours to brig and an hour to Zermatt. You will need seat reservations on the train Lugano to Milano Centrale and again Milan Centrale to Brig.

Scenic route is via Locarno and the Centovalli line to Domodossola and then to Brig. Actually more scenic than getting the GEX at Andermatt because shortly after Andermatt it goes into the Furka tunnel for 20 mins... No seat res. required.

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there any direct train from Lugano to Zermatt?

I agree with Hambagahle about most direct route via Milan. I also agree most scenic route is via Locarno (Centovalli is one of my favourite areas in Switzerland) but this involves LOTS of changes of train, not ideal with luggage, and these options had already been mentioned.

I thought via Andermatt might appeal more than via Milan. It is scenic also from Lugano, and it might be interesting to catch the GE if only for this portion of 3 hours or so.

Of course another EXTREME solution if extra time can be added would be Palm Express from Lugano to St Moritz, stop-over in St Moritz, then the Glacier Express all the way to Zermatt.

Edited: 17 August 2014, 19:51
7. Re: Is there any direct train from Lugano to Zermatt?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 06:16